Responsibilities for debt when intestate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talyn

My mother recently died without a will, she had 4 children. She was in a retirement home that she paid with out of PERA (public employees retirement account) and Social Security. The only real assets she had were, one joint checking account with my sister that only had $1K and one money market account for $5K, and a life insurance policy for $20K that named all 4 siblings as beneficiaries. Other than utilities, she had only 1 store credit card with a $2K balance owing.

Since the checking account was joint, I would assume that money should go back to my sister?

Would we be obligated to pay the one store credit card out of the money market account?

When she died, she was take to the local hospitals emergency room. Since this was just a few weeks ago, no bill was ever received. If a creditor was to ever contact us, would we be obligated to pay this out of the life insurance inheritance.

Thanks for any help!

Since the checking account was joint, I would assume that money should go back to my sister?

Yes.

Would we be obligated to pay the one store credit card out of the money market account?

Most likely.

When she died, she was take to the local hospitals emergency room. Since this was just a few weeks ago, no bill was ever received. If a creditor was to ever contact us, would we be obligated to pay this out of the life insurance inheritance.

Possibly not. You don't provide your location, but in many jurisdictions the proceeds of an insurance policy are distributed directly to the beneficiaries and do not form part of the estate. They are not subject to claims from creditors.

More likely, whatever bill the hospital might send should be paid from the money market account. You should advise the hospital that the patient is deceased. Pay whatever bill they send before you distribute the remainder of the money market account to the siblings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back