Personal Bankruptcy residency rqmt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobless

I have lost my job and have been able to pay bills for 6 months, the money has run out and I must now file for bankruptcy. What state do I file in?
Lost job/house in Katrina (New Orleans) August 05, unemployed till March 0f 06 when I moved to Kansas City, MO for a job. I lost that job in June of 07 and moved in with family in New York in June of 07. My license is still from Louisiana. I cant seem to find out how to file or where? I understand NY has a residency rqmt but can find no information out whatsoever. If I could afford a lawyer I would not be filing. Any advice?

Amy

I have lost my job and have been able to pay bills for 6 months, the money has run out and I must now file for bankruptcy. What state do I file in?
Lost job/house in Katrina (New Orleans) August 05, unemployed till March 0f 06 when I moved to Kansas City, MO for a job. I lost that job in June of 07 and moved in with family in New York in June of 07. My license is still from Louisiana. I cant seem to find out how to file or where? I understand NY has a residency rqmt but can find no information out whatsoever. If I could afford a lawyer I would not be filing. Any advice?

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds dire but try to remain positive. Your best bet might first to speak to the creditors and try to work out some type of plan with them. Inform them that you will be filing for bankruptcy if you cannot work out some type of agreement with them. Their alternative is zero as opposed to some return on the dollar.

With regard to filing bankruptcy, I believe that New York has a 2 year residency requirement so you may need to file elsewhere. If you will eventually file, my understanding is that bankruptcy income is based upon the last 6 months of income so timing is an important issue as well.

Louisiana Federal Bankruptcy Court

Missouri Bankruptcy Court and Procedures

Good luck with your situation. Hopefully you'll remember that everything going forward will be upwards and that you have a family to live with while you get there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back