1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Requirement For Customer ID

Discussion in 'Car Sales, Dealers, Repairs, Lemon Law' started by OnSolidGround, Feb 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnSolidGround

OnSolidGround Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Ohio
    is there a law or regulation that requires a dealership to use credit reports to verify the customer’s identity if the buyer is paying for the car outright with a cashier’s or personal check?

Can a driver’s license, birth certificate and Social Security card work?

2. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

I doubt it, but it would obviously be a bad business practice not to do that.

A social security card is not a means of identification, but it's up to the dealer to decide what is sufficient for its purposes.

4. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

5. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

One of the many UNWRITTEN laws of common sense says, "If your custom is unappreciated, shop where you're welcomed and respected."

With a bundle of cash many merchants would worry about two things, counting the cash correctly while making sure all bills are genuine.

Another unwritten law of common sense speaks about checks, verify the amount is available and drawn on a legitimate bank and checking account.

6. OnSolidGround

This will not be a cash transaction. They may still use a form 8300 if they want to but its not required. The Form 8300 Reference Guide specifically states that personal and cashier’s checks are not considered cash. It refers to transactions involving coins and currency, not checks.

7. OnSolidGround

Its still a legal tool for the purpose of matching signatures.

Thank you so much.

8. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

One does not have to sign their social security card. It remains valid even if unsigned.

9. zddoodah

Not entirely sure what you're talking about (i.e., what "its [sic]" refers to), but a social security card does not have a signature on it.

10. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

While technically you are correct in that newly issued social security cards don't have signatures on them, the fact is that they have a signature line on them. Here is a link to an IRS document that shows some samples: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3535.pdf

11. zddoodah

Perhaps, but if I steal your SS card that you haven't signed and sign your name myself, it's a pretty piss poor "tool for the purpose of matching signatures," as the OP suggested.

12. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

It's a pretty piss poor tool to use as an ID in the first place.

Zigner and zddoodah like this.
  13. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

I agree - I was simply pointing out that the cards contain a place for a signature.

The card is clear in stating that it is not to be used for identification.

14. Red Kayak

Red Kayak Well-Known Member

While there is no law specifically requiring this, there is also no law saying that they are not allowed to require it.

It is not unlawful for them to ask for this. It is not a form of discrimination.

You have asked if it's required by law, because you don't wish to comply. What you have to understand is that businesses are allowed some level of discretion to make their own policies, so long as it does not violate the law. As long as they apply to same policy to all customers, they're okay - if they pick and choose, they might be accused of discrimination against some protected group.

15. OnSolidGround

Good information, thank you. I’m not concerned about discrimination I’m opposed to allowing them access to my credit reports when I’m not applying for credit. But car dealerships are famous for telling prospective buyers that there is a legal requirement for them to pull your reports. They want to be able to offer their financing because they make money on it. That’s why I asked about a legal requirement. If it becomes an issue I’ll gladly take my money elsewhere.

16. OnSolidGround

Mine does. But then it’s pretty old.

17. OnSolidGround

I stand corrected on that point, thank you.

18. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Yet it's the de facto identification number for every US citizen that has one. Federal and state income tax returns require it and it's called, ironically, a Taxpayer Identification Number. Apply for credit you give your SSN or you don't get credit. Many other financial transactions require it. My state requires it by statute on an application for a driver license or car title/registration. Apply for employment you give your SSN or you don't get the job. I've known of employers that required the prospective employee to present the original of the card (not a photocopy) so it could be copied by the employer.

If's your national identification number folks, believe it.

Red Kayak likes this.
  19. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I bought a car for cash in 2020 and used a cashier's check. Out of curiosity I checked my credit reports for later that year. The dealer did not run my credit.

20. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

True, but we're actually not talking about the number. It's the card itself that is not intended for use as identification.