Consumer Law, Warranties Renting a house and didn't get a charged my gas bill until I lived there 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfwine

Minnesota, U.S.A.

I am renting a house. I have been renting about 3 years now. Today I got a letter from the gas company saying they don't have anyone listed as living here, and they will disconnect the gas in 10 days if I don't call them.

First off I didn't realize I was suppose to be paying a gas company. I really don't know anything about furnaces I assumed it was electric, since I never got billed anything other than my electric bill / water & sewer etc.

I did not talk long with the person on the phone. The lady was being rude, literally yelling at me on the phone. I was confused. She started asking for my information and I hung up on her. I didn't want to start agreeing to things without getting some legal advice first.

What I want to know is am I legally obligated to pay the gas company for 3 years of gas even though I never had it connected. Apparently after the last tenant disconnected the gas company made a mistake and continued to give me gas without charging me. I never had any contract or agreement with them oral or written to pay for their services.

I am estimating the bill will be between $3000 and $5000 dollars. There is absolutely no way I can afford that. I don't know what to do. Our electric bill is already $150-$200 a month. If I had known I had to pay more on top of that I would have been looking for a different place to live a long time ago. Also I would probably not have used as much heat, since It would be costing me more. I don't think this is fair that they can charge me for 3 years of service like this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. With the economy as it is I was already suffering. Now I feel just lost.

Did you use the gas? If you did, then where did you think the gas was coming from? No offense, but if you used it, don't you think you would need to pay for it? With regard to timing, that part might be able to be worked out to be delayed over time as a result of their error. Otherwise, I'm not sure what your defense is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back