Rental neglect and unsanitary conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariaross1976

My family and i moved into a rental home 2 weeks ago when we moved in the toilet leaked and we asked for it to be repaired. the landlord sent a young kid in his early 20's to come repair it instead of repairing it he came to our home under the influence of drugs and broke the toilet causing it to have to be removed. the next time he came he again was under the influence of drugs put the new toilet in but did not do it properly so so now it leaks onto the floor from under the toilet and sprays water full of urine and fecal matter on your feet when you flush it along with the constant water leakage. we brought our concrens to the land lord about his drug use and incapability to fix the problem and she told us we had to let him in to fix it not matter what or she would refuse to fix it. so we did one last time he still did not fix the problem.

on top of that we have started to get sick. i have blisters on my eye balls, not my eye lids, but my eye balls and everyone in my family is now suffering from upper respitory infections. we found that sewage is leaking from the sinks tubs and toilet into the basement part of the basement has a sump pump that pumps that sewage openly into a creek ten feet from our back door. the rest leaks through the walls and streams out of the back wall of the house into our yard. what does not leak out of the house or get pumped through the sump pump is sitting in a pool of scummy water in our basement. the smell of sewage in the house is getting stronger everyday and and we are also getting infested with ants.

we have also found that the apartment connected to ours shares the utilites that are in our name. everytime our neighbors turn on a light or run the bath that is something i have to pay. the landlord has told me that i have to go to those tenants and ask them to pay me 1/4th of the bill and collect it myself.

all of these have been addressed to the landlord and ignored. we would like to move and in doing so get back our deposit and first months rent how do i do this with out having legal back lash on us.

I suggest you contact your county health department, police department, sheriff department, newspaper, television stations, and anyone that will listen to your story.

If you're on public aid, social security, etc; contact them, too.

None of us are in KY. There is nothing we can do. You need to tell someone in authority. Tell the mayor, city council, county commissioner; an elected official or officials.

You can move any time you like- but getting back your deposit money will require you to jump through some hoops. Next time inspect the place a little better so you can avoid these disasters.
Contacting your county health inspector is probably your best start- but even that won't get your money back.

Sorry, I don't believe your story.
For one thing, you never mention that the neighbors were complaining about the sewage smell if it was that strong.
Nor the ants.
Once you started to complain about illness, without doctor backup or emergency room visits, than it never happen.

The only thing that is bothering you is the electric, which is understandable, but don't make up illness to cause trouble to the LL.

Believe me, if LL knew of the sewage problem, he knew the trouble he would be in if you had complain to him about your "illness".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back