1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Rental middleman?

Discussion in 'Rental Agreements & Subleases' started by jent7111, Dec 7, 2019.

1. jent7111

jent7111 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Virginia
    This is my first post on the forum, so I apologize if I misplace this question. Anyways, I have been attempting to create a longer term solution for affordable housing in my area. Although I have been volunteering and donating to shelters, these seem like inefficient ways of helping less privileged people find homes. I was thinking of perhaps forming a non-profit that could act as an intermediary firm that would connect the homeless and property owners that are willing to rent out or buy. I suppose this would behave just as a middle man between these two parties. Profitability is not a priority. My question is, is there any financial incentive for property owners to rent through a non-profit or a system like that? What kind of legal consolation should I pursue? Are there already company's doing this? Or really, is this idea even viable? Any help is greatly appreciated and any alternatives to this idea will certainly be heavily considered.

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Property owners don't need an intermediary to be able to find low income people to rent to.

3. jent7111

jent7111 Law Topic Starter New Member

Could there be any tax benefits for a property owner to rent through a middleman?

4. Red Kayak

Red Kayak Active Member

Have you ever heard of "section 8 housing"?

5. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I can think of only one. The money he pays for the service is a deductible business expense.