Rental Car - False Claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vark

I hope I am posting this in the right place :)

While on a trip to Camarrio CA I was the authorized driver of an Enterprise rental car which was reserved and paid for by my friend. The car was picked up at the local Enterprise office on 05/01/08 and was delivered to the Enterprise car return facility at the LAX airport on 5/2/08 as per the contract.

On arrival at the LAX facility an Enterprise representative inspected the car and after some difficulty locating the rental record on her portable computer provided me with a receipt which detailed the cost, pickup and return
time/dates. The car was in perfect condition as walked away from it at the airport.

Three weeks later I received a letter dated 5/14/08 from Enterprise's Loss Control Administrator making a claim of $516.20 for damages to their car. Included also was a detailed estimate (dated 5/5/08) and several images of the car (which did not show any visible damage)

I understand that $516.20 is a small amount to pay for collision damage, but the fact remains that I did not damage the car and I do not believe I should be asked to pay for damages which occurred after I returned it.

They are now threatening to sue me for the amount. How can I legally challenge their claim?

I'm a delivery person for another rental car co., and have been in an accident with a rental car. Don't take this as legal advice, I'm just talking from expierence. Speak with all the management you can to resolve this issue, and document everything. The rental co. most likely will not sue you. Be aware, of your credit rating, they can send this to a collection agency. When you receive a call from the collection agency, you do not need to speak with them, only write down their info. Then sue the rental co. for damages to your credit, in your own state, county so you will not have to travel. They will never recoop their loss, to justifiy spending for a lawyer, and co. rep. travel expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back