Rental Assistance Program 'contract' issue

ckeck1067

Jurisdiction
California
A rental assistance program that normally requires a 12 month lease gave a client the OK on a voucher for flexibility of lease options, including at minimum month to month. There is an email from a case worker to the client stating this.

Yesterday, the client was approved for a single room occupancy with a month to month lease and was waiting for a deposit to secure the room. Today, that client was told that voucher expired. The client was never told prior of the change nor told it had an expiration.

The client's been homeless, living in her vehicle for over 8 years, seeking help for the whole time, but because she lacks criteria such as drug dependency, mental illness or dependent children, help for her is limited. The client is emotionally devastated.

The question is, does the rental assistance program have any legal obligation to honor the month to month lease voucher?

I'm sure you can find the program rules easier than we can because you know the name and source of the program and we don't.
But, I'm asking about the written statement about the expansion of leasing options for the client and not being told of an expiration until after an application for rental was approved. The program(s) are CRC...Community Resource Center and Rapid Rehousing.

The CRC website is no help. But there is a contact number.

Housing / Supportive Services - Community Resource Center

The Rapid Re-Housing site provides a manual. Nothing in there about expirations but there is an appeal process.

Rapid Re-Housing Manual (ca.gov)

If you can upload a copy of the document, it may provide a clue. Redact any identifying information.

Understand, though, that bureaucracies make rules that they keep to themselves and there's usually nothing that can be done about it.

PS. What kind of services do you perform for your "client"? Are you a lawyer?

Thank you f
The CRC website is no help. But there is a contact number.

Housing / Supportive Services - Community Resource Center

The Rapid Re-Housing site provides a manual. Nothing in there about expirations but there is an appeal process.

Rapid Re-Housing Manual (ca.gov)

If you can upload a copy of the document, it may provide a clue. Redact any identifying information.

Understand, though, that bureaucracies make rules that they keep to themselves and there's usually nothing that can be done about it.

PS. What kind of services do you perform for your "client"? Are you a lawyer?

Thank you for the literature. No, I am not a lawyer. The programs, although not HUD, operate with HUD guidelines. I was just informed there was a COVID exception in place in length of lease, which expired in April of this year. The client was not informed of this expiration until today.

Back