Quiet Enjoyment Rent Reduction During Construction Work Caused by 3rd Party?

milkyway

Hi all,

First off, thanks so much for allowing me to ask for legal help! I just moved to Los Angeles from Germany and am completely unfamiliar with rental law here.

We live in a lease in a small apartment complex and were notified by the City of Los Angeles that they are planning to build a huge mixed-use building (18-story) basically right next to us (only one other apartment is between us). We are right in the center of the circle on the map they provided us with, indicating where negative impact (noise, street closures, vibrations) is likely to take place.

This will have a major negative impact on quality of life, especially because I'm working from home. Because this isn't caused by our landlord, I wonder if we are still in the right to ask for compensation (rent reduction, etc.)?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Sara

Hi all,

First off, thanks so much for allowing me to ask for legal help! I just moved to Los Angeles from Germany and am completely unfamiliar with rental law here.

We live in a lease in a small apartment complex and were notified by the City of Los Angeles that they are planning to build a huge mixed-use building (18-story) basically right next to us (only one other apartment is between us). We are right in the center of the circle on the map they provided us with, indicating where negative impact (noise, street closures, vibrations) is likely to take place.

This will have a major negative impact on quality of life, especially because I'm working from home. Because this isn't caused by our landlord, I wonder if we are still in the right to ask for compensation (rent reduction, etc.)?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Sara

You are always FREE to ask.

Don't get excited, American landlords aren't in the compensation business.
They are in the RENTAL business.
You give, they take.
If in doubt, READ your lease.
Your landlord isn't responsible for the DISTURBANCES that are about to rain down upon you for months!

I don't think there is much you can do about this unless there might be something in your lease though probably not. Of course, you are always free to ask your LL about a reduction in rent.

How is reducing your rent going to make it quieter to work? Construction projects happen. It is for a limited amount of time. I suggest noise cancelling headphones or move when the lease is up if you are unwilling to wait it out.

Back