1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Rent, Damages recovery

Discussion in 'Eviction, Recovery of Premises' started by SouthpawTiberius, Dec 4, 2020.

1. SouthpawTiberius

SouthpawTiberius Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    A tenant left the property and has owed 9 months worth of rent. Also there is damages to the property which I need to recover. I hear the tenant is living in a nearby county and working. If I sue for back rent and damages, and get a judgement, how should I collect the money from the tenant? Is there an agency that helps small landlords like me?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

hrforme and SouthpawTiberius like this.
  3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Why did you let this slide for 9 months? You should have evicted for non-pay back then when it was long before any of the moratoriums.

You can garnish wages if you can find his employer. You can levy his bank account if you can find it.

There are collection agencies that you can hire on a contingency but I doubt that any of them will pay you even 10 cents on the dollar for a judgment on a deadbeat.

SouthpawTiberius likes this.
  4. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Evictions are handled much differently since COVID 19. Many landlords are still stuck with non paying tenants. This person is fortunate that the deadbeat has left because an eviction could still be a long wait

Rather than throwing good money away chasing someone who can't pay, you may just cut your losses and get a new paying tenant. Perhaps you can claim your losss in your taxes.

hrforme and SouthpawTiberius like this.
  5. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

The most common ways of enforcing a civil money judgment against a natural person are bank levies and wage garnishments.

I doubt it, but maybe (depending on where in CA you are). You obviously can google.

SouthpawTiberius likes this.
  6. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Did you miss the part where I said:

7. SouthpawTiberius

SouthpawTiberius Law Topic Starter New Member

The court didn't hear the lawsuit for seven months due to COVID.

Sincere thanks to everybody for answering. I appreciate your input