Rent, Damages recovery

Jurisdiction
California
A tenant left the property and has owed 9 months worth of rent. Also there is damages to the property which I need to recover. I hear the tenant is living in a nearby county and working. If I sue for back rent and damages, and get a judgement, how should I collect the money from the tenant? Is there an agency that helps small landlords like me?

A tenant left the property and has owed 9 months worth of rent.

Why did you let this slide for 9 months? You should have evicted for non-pay back then when it was long before any of the moratoriums.

If I sue for back rent and damages, and get a judgement, how should I collect the money from the tenant?

You can garnish wages if you can find his employer. You can levy his bank account if you can find it.

Is there an agency that helps small landlords like me?

There are collection agencies that you can hire on a contingency but I doubt that any of them will pay you even 10 cents on the dollar for a judgment on a deadbeat.

Why did you let this slide for 9 months?

Evictions are handled much differently since COVID 19. Many landlords are still stuck with non paying tenants. This person is fortunate that the deadbeat has left because an eviction could still be a long wait

Rather than throwing good money away chasing someone who can't pay, you may just cut your losses and get a new paying tenant. Perhaps you can claim your losss in your taxes.

If I sue for back rent and damages, and get a judgement, how should I collect the money from the tenant?

The most common ways of enforcing a civil money judgment against a natural person are bank levies and wage garnishments.

Is there an agency that helps small landlords like me?

I doubt it, but maybe (depending on where in CA you are). You obviously can google.

Back