Removing one of the parties to a land contract

azuka

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I sold a house in my town that I owned outright via land contract several years ago. The buyers were a woman and her boyfriend. In due course the boyfriend has proven himself to be someone who is unwelcome in the home and the two of them are on the outs.

I am willing to do what it takes for the woman to remove her boyfriend from the contract. I'm thinking he needs to sign a quitclaim deed over to his ex-girlfriend. At the same time, I'm willing to absolve him of any financial responsibility so that he is totally out of the picture.

Is this the right way to go about this? Also, what do I need to do to remove him from any obligation on the contract?

Is this the right way to go about this? Also, what do I need to do to remove him from any obligation on the contract?

If you want to do it correctly, assuming it can be done, you need to consult a licensed lawyer near you.

You might also ask your lawyer what it means to "sell" a home on a "land contract".

No one who hasn't read the contract can speak intelligently about this.

Why you're willing to get in the middle of these two persons' squabbles isn't clear, but you would be foolish to do anything about this situation without the advice of a local real estate attorney.

Back