Other Debt Removing HOA Late Fee

Jurisdiction
Texas
In 2017 I paid my Home owners association dues online. At that time my bank would generate a paper check, and mail it to the address I entered into that particular "payees" account information. Everything went fine, no problems. I paid my 2018 HOA dues in the same manor, but unbeknownst to me my HOA changed their mailing address. My bank mailed the paper check to the old address and it was sent back "return to sender" and I wasn't aware it had been returned until I got my bank statement. When I realized it had been returned, I called my HOA, and found out that their mailing address had changed. I explained that I made my "TIMELY" payment online and that it was returned to my bank. I have evidence from my bank that the payment was indeed timely. They told me over the phone that they would waive the late fee and I paid the dues online, to the new address. The following year, I receive my yearly invoice, and the $55.00 late fee had not been removed even though I had presented evidence that I made the timely payment, but it was just mailed to the wrong address. I went by the HOA office personally this time and they explained to me that the person who told me they'd waive the fee no longer worked there. I again presented them evidence that my payment was made in a timely fashion by way of email. Again this was suppose to be resolved but to this day... 3 years later they have still not removed this late fee. It's not so much the money, as it is the principle. Is there anything I can do Legally (maybe small claims court, or a certified letter?) to make them remove this late fee? Again... I could just pay it, and go about my business but it's a matter of principle with me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ah, the joys of HOA living.

You can try a certified letter. If that doesn't work, just pay it. Otherwise you'll aggravate yourself to death.

Bottom line, the payment WAS late and that would be the HOA's defense if you sued.

Ah, the joys of HOA living.

You can try a certified letter. If that doesn't work, just pay it. Otherwise you'll aggravate yourself to death.

Bottom line, the payment WAS late and that would be the HOA's defense if you sued.

Thanks for your reply.
But would not the HOA have to prove they were damaged by the payment being late?
I think (I'm not sure) here in Texas, if an on time payment (and you can prove it was made on time) was made in good faith and the payee didn't receive the payment on time (by no fault of the payer) "Legally" that payment was made on time. Someone has told me this but that someone was not an Attorney. Hence my question on this forum.

But would not the HOA have to prove they were damaged by the payment being late?

A late payment has nothing to do with damages.

Payments are creatures of contract law.

If the agreed upon payment date is the 3rd, BUT payment arrives on the 4th, said payment is late.

Sorry, mate, the easiest solution is pay the money the "nazi-like" HOA demands.

Should you continue to NOT remit their money, they MIGHT deploy other MORE painful remedies.

I suggest you READ the many documents you have agreed to be encumbered by once you created a relationship with the "bully" HOA.

No.

I think (I'm not sure) here in Texas, if an on time payment (and you can prove it was made on time) was made in good faith and the payee didn't receive the payment on time (by no fault of the payer) "Legally" that payment was made on time. Someone has told me this but that someone was not an Attorney. Hence my question on this forum.

A myth. Otherwise, Army Judge, a Texas attorney/judge would have weighed in on that.

For it to be true, it would have to be something expressly allowed for by the recipient. Like the IRS, for example, agreeing that a return received after April 15 is on time if it was postmarked prior to midnight April 15.

Anyway, in your case, you originally got an agreement to waive the late fee but didn't follow up to make sure it got done. That's on you. Had you checked your account within a couple of days and it was still there you could have personally gone to the same person to make sure it got done.

Back