Remedies against an excessively loud upstairs neighbor?

jacques001

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Hi,

I live in a 3 family condo on the 2nd floor (all units are owner occupied, and we have an HOA).

My upstairs neighbor is an older couple with a teenage child. In the last year there has been excessive noise at all hours of the day coming from his room (directly above one of our bedrooms). The noise happens during working day (I work from home), after hours, and even late at night (past 11).

I confronted the mother to ask about the noise. She admitted her son was literally bouncing a large ball over and over in his room, against the wall, and on his furniture. She explained he did it as a way to handle stress and that he "didn't understand" how it could affect us (the neighbors below them). He is I believe 16 years old and as far as I know he is not mentally impaired. She agreed it was not acceptable and it was reasonable for me to ask her to stop the noise.

After this conversation, I would text her when the bouncing ball was excessive and she would quickly tell her son to stop. The bouncing ball still continues, and I think it's worse when she's gone so she can't tell her son to stop.

My issue is the son still bounces the ball very loudly and I don't want to spend every day texting the mom to have her control him. This is very stressful--both hearing the loud banging and then having to decide how long to wait until I should text the mom (maybe the ball will stop bouncing on its own and I don't have to keep confronting the neighbor).

I understand the simplest answer is to "get out of dodge" and plan to move. But this isn't very easy as I live in an ultra high cost of living area and can't simply go buy another condo.

Assuming the situation does not get better, are there any ways I can escalate the situation so the upstairs neighbors takes the matter more seriously?

ssuming the situation does not get better, are there any ways I can escalate the situation so the upstairs neighbors takes the matter more seriously?

Have you spoken to members of your HOA governing body?

What do your HOA rules state about annoyances?

I suggest you dig them out and see what your HOA documentation says relative to EXCESSIVE noise.

Good luck...

(all units are owner occupied, and we have an HOA).

Check your HOA rules. It would be very surprising if there was nothing in the HOA rules addressing this.

She explained he did it as a way to handle stress and that he "didn't understand" how it could affect us (the neighbors below them). He is I believe 16 years old and as far as I know he is not mentally impaired.

As the parent of a child that age, I think your neighbor is doing her son no favors by allowing such bratty behavior.

So, pull out those HOA rules and start reading. A fine or two from the HOA might shake some sense into mom.

Back