remarried and want my ex to sign over parental right, what are the steps i need to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismkerper

okay, i am currently remarried now, :D and would like my ex husband to sign over his parental rights to my daughter who is 9 years old and does not have a relationship with her at all. He is ordered through child support to pay support but does not do so on a regular basis, an i have had it trying to hold him accountable threw the court system. :mad: I have been married now for little over one year and would like my husband to adopt her since he is the father figure in her life. What are the steps i need to take and can i do it on my own with filing a motion through the courts or do i have to have a attorney for representation? Also during our divorse the judge ordered no visitation due to him not complying with the court ordered supervised visitation, and i have full custody of my daughter. Please any info will help alot. Thank you :)

You defintely need to see an adoption attorney. Parental rights will have to be terminated from bio dad and your husband will adopt. This is not a do it yourself project. A homestudy and evaluation might be required.

See an adoption attorney.

re: married and want ex to sign over rights

i am going through the same thing right now and have recently found out u can have his parental rights revoked if he hasnt paid child support in 2 yrs or had any kind of contact within 2 yrs but u have to be able to prove this in court also and in order to get rights revoked there must be adoption taking place which in your case i see no problems with..

these are the laws in michigan i dont know if they will apply to you but i hope this helps

mom_in_distress said:
i am going through the same thing right now and have recently found out u can have his parental rights revoked if he hasnt paid child support in 2 yrs or had any kind of contact within 2 yrs but u have to be able to prove this in court also and in order to get rights revoked there must be adoption taking place which in your case i see no problems with..

these are the laws in michigan i dont know if they will apply to you but i hope this helps

thank you for the advice, i have to just find out what to do and whta the steps are. he has every now and then called but only when he is intoxicated and wants to cause greef. But that is it, and never to just call to be a dad. She is sick if it, and expects nothing more from him. well thanks for the advice. :)

Duranie said:
You defintely need to see an adoption attorney. Parental rights will have to be terminated from bio dad and your husband will adopt. This is not a do it yourself project. A homestudy and evaluation might be required.

See an adoption attorney.

Thank you, that is what i didnt wan tot hear of course, cause that costs tons of money doesnt it? i'll have to call to get a Quote........lol :eek:

chrismkerper said:
thank you for the advice, i have to just find out what to do and whta the steps are. he has every now and then called but only when he is intoxicated and wants to cause greef. But that is it, and never to just call to be a dad. She is sick if it, and expects nothing more from him. well thanks for the advice. :)

oh i must of forgot to add this... but contact your county adoption they will send you the paper work needed to get this adoption going and in my state they said it would cost between $160 -$200 if the adoption wasnt contested but its a good idea to have a lawyer just to be on the safe side of things. and if the ex dont have much money maybe you could use a lawyer as a scare tactic. he will see your serious about this and will do it at all cost! well good luck with things

mom_in_distress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back