Rehiring after being Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

angellost

I'm hoping to start interviewing soon for new positions. I was just fired from a job i held for 2 1/2 years. Do I have tell prospective employers that I was fired? They will ask why and I'm afraid it will keep me from getting the job. I was fired for stealing but I didnt do what they accused me of but my name is on all the paperwork. And I know if the new employer contacts HR they will tell them I was terminated for theft. I did make a statement that over a year ago I falsified a return which is why I know I have no reason to contest the termination but I was so scared I never did it again and have not. Now I just dont know how to answer the question when asked why I left my last position.

If they don't ask, you don't have to tell. You are not required to volunteer the information.

But if they do ask, you need to tell the truth. Being fired is not the kiss of death that most people assume; there are plenty of employers who will not hold a mistake against you or will listen to your side of the story. But few if any employers will forgive you if you lie and they find out. That's a sure trip to the unemployment line.

Thank you for your help. I had my first full face to face interview and it came up but like you said just tell the truth and it went well. Now we just keep our fingers crossed for a call back but it was a good interview nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back