1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Registration

Discussion in 'Drivers License, Vehicle Registration' started by Nina Nastri, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Nina Nastri

Nina Nastri Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Florida
    I needed to know if there is anything legally to have someone's name removed from a vehicle and off the car loan I ready do not think there is. But my son co signed on a car with his girlfriend at the time and have now split up. And because his name is on car can he use at anytime Thanks a bunch

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Is he on the car title or just on the loan?

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

I read this as meaning that your son and his ex-girlfriend bought a car together: both are on title, and both are obligated on the loan. Correct?

If that's the case, then each of them has the right to possess the vehicle. Assuming, however, that they are no longer on good terms and don't want to continue sharing the car, one of them should buy out the other and refinance the loan so that it's only in the buyer's name.

4. Nina Nastri

I'm not sure they don't have Title yet cause car isn't paid off. I'm pretty sure he is on registration as of now

5. Nina Nastri

Yes they are both on the loan she couldn't get it without him. I'm pretty sure he is on the registration there isn't a title yet in hand cause car not paid off. She makes the payments he pays nothing. So because he pays nothing can he still use car without her

6. Nina Nastri

Not sure no title in hand yet car not paid off is there a way for him to find out

7. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

It makes zero difference who's making the payments. As I explained previously, if "your son and his ex-girlfriend bought a car together [and] both are on title, . . . then each of them has the right to possess the vehicle." However, if your son's ex-girlfriend has possession of the vehicle, he has no way of compelling her to let him use it.

FOR ANYONE ELSE READING THIS THREAD: This post illustrates why buying a car with a boy or girlfriend is a TERRIBLE idea (unless the parties enter into a contract that specifies exactly what will happen if/when the relationship ends).

army judge, Tax Counsel and Zigner like this.
  8. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Not just for cars. It's a terrible idea for any financial arrangement between boyfriends and girlfriends (cars, homes, personal property, pets, rent sharing, etc.

"Oh, we don't need that. We're in love. We trust each other."

:rolleyes:

Red Kayak, army judge and zddoodah like this.
  9. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

In some cases its even a bad idea between husband and husband, wife and wife, wife and husband.

inGodwetrust.png

justblue likes this.
  10. Nina Nastri

So so true I warned him not to do it but he felt bad and thought he was doing good. Thanks so much for the information