registration sticker placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

csc44

I recently moved to Idaho and registered my car. When I placed the sticker in the "designated" area on the plate, the license frame covered all but the top 1/4 inch of the sticker. In Idaho the license # consists of a 2 digit county designator followed by a space and 5 more digits. I placed the registration sticker in that space after the county designator so it would be readable. I did this in part because I'd seen enough other vehicles that did the same thing I figured it was fine. Wrong, it was too visable. I got pulled over in a neighboring county by a state trooper. No other reason, no speeding, no erratic driving, etc. The trooper had to look though his code book for a few minutes to even find the statute. To sum it up, I got a ticket and am going to court to fight it. Do I have a case? Has anybody heard of this before, Idaho Statute 49-443(4)? The link is to the statute 49-443. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newidst?sctid=490040043.K

Last edited:
explain your reasons to the judge. If he is not a total .... he will dismiss the ticket.

Thanks NYClex, that's what I'm hoping. I just received my court date ... June 25th. Does anybody else have any advice? I have until the 24th. And does anybody know if this is something that is going to be reported to insurance/accumulate points?

Last edited:
Not much advice out there... I've considered taking photos of all the other misplaced tags. I've seen a handful everyday on the way to and from work (only 10 miles). Would that be helpful or would a typical judge blow it off?

Last edited:
well, if I'd be a judge and you come and tell me: I should not be given this speeding ticket, because, you know, all the other cars on the highway were speeding, too, but the cop pulled ME over...

... that would not impress me at all.

But if you come and tell me: look, this defies common sense, I have paid the taxes and fees, I have the sticker, I have put it on the plate, the only thing I did not do is put it exactly in that corner...

... then I would wonder if cops don't have more dangerous criminals to catch and dismiss the ticket.

That would be just me if I were the judge.

Thanks NYClex

Thanks for your advice, NYClex. There was another individual there that got ticketed by the same officer for "following to close." It sounded like the same situation on the road that I was in except I ended up with the registration sticker instead. Anyway, to make long story shorter, the ticket was dismissed because I could prove to the Prosecuting Attorney that it was corrected.

wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back