Registration Hold Thanks to Ex

LindseyK

Jurisdiction
Florida
I left a vehicle of mine with an ex in Florida while I traveled out of state to help a terminally ill family member. I came back to Florida with another vehicle that was newer and in better shape. My ex said he had no problems letting me keep the old one on his property until I had somewhere to store it. I was appreciative of the offer and left it with him for about two months.

I got the vehicle back a few months ago after my newer one was stolen (long story in and of itself). When I got settled back in again and updated all my address information, I get a letter in the mail stating an attorney was attempting to collect a debt for an upaid ticket (traffic light camera) and that my license may be suspended! I checked online today, and it seems my license has not been suspended as a result, however, I cannot renew my vehicle's registration.

I have never dealt with something like this before and have no idea what to do. My ex won't help whatsoever, as he is bitter with me since I would not give him another chance (another long story). I can't think of any way I can prove it was not me unless the photos show the driver in them. I don't even know if he got the ticket before or after I came back to Florida, as I never received any information about it until this recent letter.

Since the letter said paying the fee won't remove a license suspension if I had one, I assume the same would apply regarding the registration hold. So, I have no idea who to contact to straighten this out. My ex does a lot of traveling all over Florida and even Georgia sometimes, so I also have no idea where he even got the ticket. Ideally, I obviously want to contest the ticket, but considering it seems it has been sold to an attorney, I don't know who I would contact that can remove the registration hold. Calling the attorney is not an option, as I threw the letter out a couple of days ago (figured it was some kind of scam at first). I would appreciate any suggestions on how to track this down and what to do.

I'm not sure why you think you need the ex's help. The responsibility for the ticket is with the registered owner of the car. I suspect you didn't have a proper mailing address on file for the car with the DMV or you would have heard about this before it went into collections. The first thing I'd do is contact the people who issued the ticket and see if you can pay it with them (I detest dealing with collection scum, especially those pretending to be attorneys). Paying the ticket is likely the only way at this point in getting the block removed.

You can try going after your ex for the money if he indeed was responsible for the violation, but frankly, it would be more expense and effort than it is probably worth.

I'm not sure why you think you need the ex's help. The responsibility for the ticket is with the registered owner of the car. I suspect you didn't have a proper mailing address on file for the car with the DMV or you would have heard about this before it went into collections. The first thing I'd do is contact the people who issued the ticket and see if you can pay it with them (I detest dealing with collection scum, especially those pretending to be attorneys). Paying the ticket is likely the only way at this point in getting the block removed.

You can try going after your ex for the money if he indeed was responsible for the violation, but frankly, it would be more expense and effort than it is probably worth.

I appreciate the feedback. As far as who issued the ticket, I have no idea. I already checked the county he lives in and the clerk there had nothing on file. It could be literally anywhere here in Florida, as he is constantly traveling for work.

As far as the address, considering thanks to the ex I was homeless for a while when I first came back, I literally had nowhere to use as my address except for his. I stayed at a shelter for a bit, but they wouldn't accept mail.

Considering they are expecting me to pay $500 something for a traffic ticket and the car isn't even that great, I am very tempted to just get rid of the car and cut my losses. It needs quite a bit of work anyway. My only concern as far as that though is whether or not the court will still do other things to pursue this even though they sold it to a creditor? I don't get how this process works as far as them selling off this debt, yet still putting a hold on my registration even though the debt is now in someone else's hands?

Last edited:
Who told you your registration was on hold? Surely there is an indication as to who thinks you owe them fines. Again, I'm not sure why you think the ex knows anything about this. You think he remembers every redlight he rolled? The ticket went to YOU the registered owner and you disregarded it.

I appreciate the feedback. As far as who issued the ticket, I have no idea. I already checked the county he lives in and the clerk there had nothing on file. It could be literally anywhere here in Florida, as he is constantly traveling for work.

If you destroy the car, junk it, or give it away, nothing will lift any sanctions or holds if the greedy gubmint doesn't get money.

Your other option might be the legal system.

This might be able to offer you some mechanism to fight back:

Fighting a Red Light Camera Traffic Ticket in Florida | The Ticket Clinic

How to Fight a Red Light Camera Ticket in Florida

Red Light Cameras in Florida - What You Need To Know (2019)

Violationinfo

It's a bit late for the strategies in those sites. The ticket has long gone past the "fighting" stage.

I agree.

I am unable to comprehend how a person allows their life to become so troubled.

I'd have addressed the ticket the moment I learned about it.

I haven't received so much as a parking ticket in the last 40 years.

I obey the law, which avoids receiving a citation or even being stopped.

I don't understand how a person allows auto insurance to lapse, auto registrations to not be renewed, auto inspections not to be current, drivers licenses to expire, etc...

I don't expect praise for doing what responsible members of society are expected to do, even if I dislike said requirements.

Your life is what you make of it.

There is no limit to what one can achieve, accumulate, or accomplish on this nation; yet I fully understand how people aid in their negative predicaments.

While the poster didn't confirm it, this is probably the scenario.

Leave car with EX and move away.
Don't bother telling Fla DMV your new address.
A year passes.
Ex runs a red light somewhere.
Ticket doesn't get delivered at all (or delivered to ex and he just discards it).
Ticket doesn't get answered and goes into collections.

While the poster didn't confirm it, this is probably the scenario.

Leave car with EX and move away.
Don't bother telling Fla DMV your new address.
A year passes.
Ex runs a red light somewhere.
Ticket doesn't get delivered at all (or delivered to ex and he just discards it).
Ticket doesn't get answered and goes into collections.

What you posit (or some derivation thereof) is probably what occurred.

With each passing year I am very happy that my wife is an even better person than the one I married.

The lesson here is pray the person you marry stays, or becomes a better person, than they one you married.

And I try to track things for my wife as much as possible. I sent in changes of address and set up everything I can for her that needs to be done periodically. If there's something she needs to take specific action on (going to the DMV, etc..), I give her explicit instructions.

Back