Refinancing with Judgement Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike3

My situation is this:

I currently own a home that I purchased in 2007. I am in the process of attempting to refinance. During the title search process an old judgment has come up which was issued in 1994, however there is no lien against my home, as per my county Circuit Clerk's office.
This judgment was a personal judgment from an individual, not a credit card company etc., which has made no effort to collect nor renew the judgment. I believe the statute of limitations has expired if I'm not mistaken. (10 years?)

Add to this, I had a no asset Chapter 7 bankruptcy which was discharged in 2005. Unfortunately, I did not list this judgment in the docs as I had long since forgotten about it.
Contacting my original bankruptcy attorney is not an option.

My dilemma... the title company says they need a "voidance of lien"? Some sort of proof that this judgment is no longer valid, otherwise they believe they will have to satisfy the judgment at closing, which will likely make my refinance impossible.

How do I go about proving that this judgment is no longer valid?
Re-opening my bankruptcy case would be quite expensive and not financially feasible for me at this time, and I feel the SOL should be sufficient.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can offer. Time is running out for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back