1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Recover someone else's personal property after eviction

Discussion in 'Guardians & Conservators' started by JustABeancounter, Apr 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. JustABeancounter

JustABeancounter Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    My brother was evicted from his apartment today and supposedly the sheriff's deputies told someone we would need a conservatorship in order to recover his property from the apartment. He is at a hospital undergoing a medical and psych evaluation. Couldn't a power of attorney do the same thing? I don't know that a conservatorship could be done in time before the property is disposed.

2. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Do you have a POA already? If he's in the hospital for a medical/psych eval, he's not likely to be able to give you one now.

3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Talk to the landlord and see if he will let you clear out the unit in exchange for a hold harmless/indemnification agreement. You can find samples on the internet. I'm sure that he would like to get the unit cleared out quickly.