Recourse for possible illegal towing in Chicago, IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolt9157

I am a 26 YO SWM that parked my car behind a Washington Mutual bank (3500 North Clark) in Lakeview/Wrigleyville. I parked behind the bank because parking was sparse and I did not see any signs in the parking lot indicating that parking there after bank hours required a permit. The only signs I saw read 'Customer parking only during bank hours.' There was also a sign for the towing service. As a result, I parked there.

When I returned 45 minutes later, my car was gone. I took a cab to the towing company address and sure enough, there it was. I asked the attendant why my car was towed and he indicated that I had no permit to park in the lot. I informed that I was parked in a public bank parking lot and he said 'the bank is closed' followed by 'do you want your car or not?' It cost me $170.00 and $18.00 for cab fare.

I plan on taking photos tomorrow of the signs and the parking lot. Beyond that, calling the manager of the bank and the towing company, I'm considering legal recourse. Would I have any kind of case? Any idea what kind of chances I might have? Are the costs to pursuing this greater than the benefits? Should I file a police report?

I defer to your experience regarding this matter. Thanks!

If the sign reads "Customer parking only during bank hours" and you were there after bank hours, then you don't have much of an argument...

Understood. I'll gather a picture of the sign tomm (it was raining quite heavily today).

The sign read more like:

Customer Parking
ONLY
During Normal Banking Hours

...I interpreted it as customer parking during normal banking hours....otherwise free parking.

There will be no losses simply because there is no case here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back