Recommendation Letter

college5566

I am applying to a college that only accepts online recommendations. I have a paper letter of recommendation from a former professor. The professor just retired and I am not able to contact him, but I would like to use his letter. The college application requires the reference's name and email address to send the request. The online reference form consists of a mandatory question "does the reference recommend the applicant", a space to type in your name, and document upload. Can I answer the mandatory question and type my references name (since I have a signed letter from him) and then upload his letter, or should I enter my name as reference, sign the form in my name, and upload his recommendation letter?

I'd put the professor's name. The letter was given to you with expectation that you would distribute as needed, right? The letter should have his contact info anyway, so it's not as if they can't verify.

I am applying to a college that only accepts online recommendations. I have a paper letter of recommendation from a former professor. The professor just retired and I am not able to contact him, but I would like to use his letter. The college application requires the reference's name and email address to send the request. The online reference form consists of a mandatory question "does the reference recommend the applicant", a space to type in your name, and document upload. Can I answer the mandatory question and type my references name (since I have a signed letter from him) and then upload his letter, or should I enter my name as reference, sign the form in my name, and upload his recommendation letter?

Of course you CAN do almost anything.

If by CAN you're asking SHOULD, I'd advise against submitting a recommendation you purport as coming from a former Prof.

As you have an email for the Prof, ask him to to do that which you propose to do.

Your post raises no legal issues. Contact someone at the college (by phone or in-person) and explain the situation and ask how to handle it.

I can all but guarantee the paper letter will not be accepted. I would be shocked if it were, but you can always ask the college. Frankly, I'd google the professor and contact them and see if they are still willing to be a reference. Or, try contacting the school where you were a student and they might have a contact for the guy or be willing to reach out to him on your behalf and have him contact you if he is so inclined.

What I would absolutely not do is pretend to be this professor and upload the letter you have as though you are he. 99 times in 100 they will verify he was the one who uploaded the document and that will not end well for you.

Back