Consumer Law, Warranties Reception Hall is trying to strong arm my fiance and I

Status
Not open for further replies.

BufordT

Hi,

My fiance and I signed a contract with a "banquet hall" at least three months ago in which they agreed to host our wedding reception. This included the use of a ball room, the catering/alcohol, etc. The wedding is to be held at the end of September, which is obviously about two months away. This hall has multiple ball rooms, but when we booked every other room was open so we took the main ball room on the main floor. It was brought to our attention last night that a charity ball put on by a well-to-do family in town has subsequently been scheduled to be held at the same banquet hall. This charity ball will host approximately 1,000 people and will occupy all remaining space in the building. We've also been told that the organizers want our ball room as well. The banquet hall has already said that they are contractually obligated to hold our event and cannot force us out. They have however, "politely" offered to help us find another facility and pay our extra incurred costs. While this may be considered admirable on their part, two months leaves us very little time to re-plan our wedding, especially since we have done so from out of town. We live eight hours away by car from the city our wedding is going to be in. Our invitations have already been printed and were scheduled to be sent out in less than a week. Obviously, we can choose to stay in our ballroom, but it is not unreasonable at all to think that the service and overall experience at our reception will not meet our expectations. Our wedding guest list is barely 200 people. That is paltry when compared with the 1,000 people expected to attend the charity ball.

It would be unreasonable of us to not expect the other ballrooms to be rented out. However, this circumstance seems excessive. Do we have any room to negotiate? Would legal action be appropriate?

Politely tell them that it's too late to change your plans so the original contract will be followed.

Legal action will take a lot longer than two months.

Politely tell them that it's too late to change your plans so the original contract will be followed.

Legal action will take a lot longer than two months.
This is in reply to senior judge's response to BufordT. I'm sorry if this isn't the right way to make a new post -I'm a new member and desperate for an answer. My fiance' and I contracted with a reception hall in October 06 for our November 07 reception. After we made the second payment (making the total paid to date $3500) I went in to try on a chair cover sample I had obtained from a company who would rent to me for $2.00 a chair which included the sash. The reception hall wanted to charge $6.50 a chair - not in our budget - and did not tell us we could not bring in our own stuff. Well, they didn't say we couldn't use our own covers/sashes when I brought in the sample, but did tell us they were going to charge us $2.50 per chair to tie the bows on! ALL OVER THEIR WEBSITE is a statement "No Hidden Charges!" Now, while I believe the girl who does the chairs should get something for doing it, I believe $0.50 might be more appropriate. It took her 10 seconds to tie up one in front of us the day we brought in the sample. My point is, he's trying to make us use his vendor by adding charges to bring us close to his originally stated cost, despite this "No Hidden Charges" statement on every page of his website. We want out - we have found another hall with the date available - one we interviewed in the beginning, but we are at risk of losing the $3500 originally paid. There is a sentence in the contract stating that cancelations for any reason would result in all monies being forfeited as liquidated damages. How about false advertising? He wasn't up front with us and now he's socking us with charges like these. This gives me a bad feeling about how the reception is going to go. Can I get any of this $ back if we pull out and go to a different hall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back