Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Recently caught shoplifting... =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissan1234

Sometime last week I was caught shoplifting at Store Name, I don't know why I did it, I just got greedy and ended up stealing. I was approached by LP as I left the store and I was taken to the back office. Here they got all my information and then called a cop to site me for petty theft and having . I have a court date next month and need to go get pre-booked as well. This is my first attempt and I have a clean record besides a speeding ticket. I am 20 years old and I live in CA. The total amount was about 80 dollars and I need some advice as to:

- Do I need a lawyer?
- Is there anyway I can get this off of my record?
- What are some of the fines/penalties I'm looking at.

Please help me out. I extremely regret making this bad decision and would hope that I can have this 'petty theft' taken off my record so it doesn't hurt my future employment. I'm really worried and do not want to involve my parents in anyway, this would only put more stress on them.

Anyone with previous experience, how did things turn out for you?

Sorry it is a bit long, thanks for the help.

Do I need a lawyer?
Yes
- Is there anyway I can get this off of my record?
If your county has a Diversion or ACD program yes you can possibly get this off your record talkto your Attorney about this option
- What are some of the fines/penalties I'm looking at.
This varies but here is general idea
.fines less than $500.00
.probation for six months to a year
.community service

There could be additional items like classes or other things but the above is the general rulings

Hi i just went through the same thing in a different state. Believe me when i say do everything this site tells you to! Get an attorney never eever plead guilty. Do not write the store an apology letter and most importantly go to the NASP website and take the online diversion class it really helped my case out alot. Also make sure when you get the civil demand make sure you pay it off!

Just to clarify. The NASP course is not a "diversion" course. Its not affilicated with the courts. Its a nonprofit group that finds help for those with shoplifting issues, concerns and, questions. They offer an anti shoplifting course that many have found very useful with the courts like the user above. You can also read the links in my signature for another story of a RTA user who found the NASP useful in court. I post this as I do not wish user to confuse the NASP with the courts

How can I register for this NASP course? It tells me to "Enter Your Court Number/Retail Code" which I don't have... do I have to go to court first? Where would I get this number? And yeah this course sounds like it helps out a lot, thanks for the suggestions.

You dont have to enter that part unless you want the completion certificate sent to the court house. Otherwise it will be sent to your address.

I can't seem to register without having that code.
It either says "No court number was entered." or "The court number was not found."

You will need a criminal defense lawyer that specializes in theft cases. They know the laws and programs and will work with you to mitigate the effect this has on you and your future.

Pay your civil demand. The company wants money. Work out a payment plan. Do not ignore the CD, you are legal obligated to pay and they can sue you if you decide you don't want to deal with it.

Obey the trespass. Steal no more.

The civil demand has been paid. 400 dollars I'll never get back.
Life is full of regrets isn't it...?

Just take the NASP course if possible and now waiting for the court date I suppose.
Thanks for all the help. :]
Very much appreciated.

They should have sent you a letter once full civil demand had been paid stating that you are paid in full. Bring this to court. It shows the judge that you are willing to make things right. Even though its a civil demand, it can still help you in the criminal court. The judge may even reduce or eliminate the court costs, fees and fines due to paying the civil demand in full.

Let us know how it goes.

Are the court appointed lawyers and the lawyers you hire yourself any different? I didn't want to pay for a lawyer if the court appointed ones were just as good.

Hey guys,
I haven't been on in awhile but just thought I'd update my case for those who are currently in my situation.
I just had my court hearing today and thank god I'm glad it's over. It wasn't even nearly as bad as I thought it would be and I was smiling for a good 2 hours after walking out of the court room.
I was charged with petty theft and possession of burglary tools.
I did not have a lawyer and did not need one. I pleaded no contest and the judge dropped my second charge of possession of burglary tools and I was forced to pay about $250 dollars.
Although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I definitely learned my lesson to never shoplift again.
Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back