Right of Publicity Receiving threats for my blog post. What should I do?

Dawood Khan

Jurisdiction
US Federal Law
Alright, long story short. I wrote an article about a forum and how the administrator might be tampering with the stats to show that it is still active. Today I got an email from the administrator threatening to remove the article or he will get a lawyer involved.

3GM6xrq.png

What should I do in this case?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Alright, long story short. I wrote an article about a forum and how the administrator might be tampering with the stats to show that it is still active. Today I got an email from the administrator threatening to remove the article or he will get a lawyer involved.

3GM6xrq.png

What should I do in this case?

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Do you have the ability to prove what you posted regarding the stat's? If not, I STRONGLY advise you to remove the libelous blog.

Do you have the ability to prove what you posted regarding the stat's? If not, I STRONGLY advise you to remove the libelous blog.

I can prove almost everything I said in the article is correct. Since you mentioned proof would screenshots be enough or do I need more?

My suggestion , at this point, is do what you want.

Nobody other than the two of you will care much about this bickering.

I get the sense this other person (or you) is not even in the United States, therefore the reference to the US justice system. I wouldn't pay it any mind.

Ignore it. Go get some ice cream and have a wonderful day.

My suggestion , at this point, is do what you want.

Nobody other than the two of you will care much about this bickering.

I get the sense this other person (or you) is not even in the United States, therefore the reference to the US justice system. I wouldn't pay it any mind.

Ignore it. Go get some ice cream and have a wonderful day.

I am not in the U.S. but my website is hosted under Google's Cloud hosting which is in the U.S. Wouldn't that affect it? Please tell me no so I can sleep peacefully.

Thank you so much for all of your replies.

I have only one last question. None of my assets apart from the Adsense account are based in U.S. My website hosting server is located in Netherlands, my domain is registered with a company located in Cyprus and I, myself, am in Pakistan. Do I have to worry about someone threatening to sue me from U.S?

Thank you so much for all of your replies.

I have only one last question. None of my assets apart from the Adsense account are based in U.S. My website hosting server is located in Netherlands, my domain is registered with a company located in Cyprus and I, myself, am in Pakistan. Do I have to worry about someone threatening to sue me from U.S?

Very unlikely. First, I can't see your post having much actual financial impact on the site, so the cost to sue you in the U.S. would likely exceed what the site might win even if defamation could be proven. Second, if the only connection to the U.S. that is involved is that Google cloud hosts the site, a U.S. court is almost certainly not going to have jurisdiction to hear the claim. Note that while Google is headquartered in the U.S. it operates cloud servers all over the world. It is likely that the site is actually hosted on a server in Europe rather than the U.S. Finally, even if it was possible and the admin got a judgment against you in the U.S., that judgment is only good to get assets you have in the U.S. Domesticating the judgment to another country where you have other assets might be possible if that country either is party to the international treaty that provides a process for it or has its own internal law that allows for it and even then it is likely not a cheap process to use.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much, everyone who replied! I am no lawyer but is there anyway I could give back to the community for the help I received? :)

I STRONGLY advise you to remove the libelous blog.

And I strongly advise you not to heed legal advice from an anonymous stranger on the internet.

Since we have no ability to read the OP's blog post, and don't know what jurisdictions are involved, we have no way of assessing if it's even potentially libelous.

To be sure, giving into this bully's threat might be the path of least resistance.

Do I have to worry about someone threatening to sue me from U.S?

No. No one is under any obligation to worry.

And I strongly advise you not to heed legal advice from an anonymous stranger on the internet.

Since we have no ability to read the OP's blog post, and don't know what jurisdictions are involved, we have no way of assessing if it's even potentially libelous.

To be sure, giving into this bully's threat might be the path of least resistance.

No. No one is under any obligation to worry.

Yes, I understand. I decided to remove the publication and decided to work along the same guy to write a story in more neutral tone. :)

Back