Rent, Utilities Received Late Notice 9 Months Later

mats90245

I received a letter recently from my management company saying I had paid my rent late back in July 2014. I mailed them a copy of the cashed check showing the July 1 date. They cashed the check 2 weeks later (July 14) so the bank stamp is after July 1. Now, 9 months after the fact, they are claiming I paid late.

How do I prove I paid on time by check?

Do they have to inform me within a certain amount of time if they plan on charging me a late fee?

What are my options?

Any help would be appreciated.

I received a letter recently from my management company saying I had paid my rent late back in July 2014. I mailed them a copy of the cashed check showing the July 1 date. They cashed the check 2 weeks later (July 14) so the bank stamp is after July 1. Now, 9 months after the fact, they are claiming I paid late.

How do I prove I paid on time by check?

Do they have to inform me within a certain amount of time if they plan on charging me a late fee?

What are my options?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry, the check writer can put ANY fate on a check, or no date at all.
There's no way you can prove when you gave your rental office the check, unless you requested and received a signed, dated receipt.
Or, you could have sent the check via an overnight delivery service, or USPS, certified mail, return receipt requested.
If your LL permits you to do so, an ACH or wire transfer would also allow you to prove the date the office or agent received the payment.

Back