1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Received Late Notice 9 Months Later Rent, Utilities

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by mats90245, Mar 21, 2015.

1. mats90245

mats90245 Law Topic Starter New Member

I received a letter recently from my management company saying I had paid my rent late back in July 2014. I mailed them a copy of the cashed check showing the July 1 date. They cashed the check 2 weeks later (July 14) so the bank stamp is after July 1. Now, 9 months after the fact, they are claiming I paid late.

How do I prove I paid on time by check?

Do they have to inform me within a certain amount of time if they plan on charging me a late fee?

What are my options?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Sorry, the check writer can put ANY fate on a check, or no date at all.
    There's no way you can prove when you gave your rental office the check, unless you requested and received a signed, dated receipt.
    Or, you could have sent the check via an overnight delivery service, or USPS, certified mail, return receipt requested.
    If your LL permits you to do so, an ACH or wire transfer would also allow you to prove the date the office or agent received the payment.