Received citation for accident - following too close / failure to stop

barrychapman

I received a citation for following too closely in a 3 car collision, in Michigan.

However, I went to pay the citation today - and some of the information on the citation is incorrect:

* Plate
* VIN
* Vehicle Description

Does this have any legal grounds to alter the charge/dismiss ticket?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I received a citation for following too closely in a 3 car collision, in Michigan.

However, I went to pay the citation today - and some of the information on the citation is incorrect:

* Plate
* VIN
* Vehicle Description

Does this have any legal grounds to alter the charge/dismiss ticket?

Thanks!

All of those mistakes or errors can be amended by the prosecutor requesting the judge to allow him or her to amend/correct them.

If you can, take an online traffic school, or seek DEFERRED ADJUDICATION; ask the prosecutor about it.

Those remedies are 100% effective, much cheaper, and sure fire winners.

What will the online traffic school do for me? Should I go to the court and talk to the prosecutor prior to these?

If its available to you, upon you completing the course, the citation will disappear.
It's as if it never happened.
That cures the criminal sanction.

Unfortunately, you could still be sued civilly by those injured in the "accident".

Two separate and distinct causes of action.

If its available to you, upon you completing the course, the citation will disappear.
It's as if it never happened.
That cures the criminal sanction.

Unfortunately, you could still be sued civilly by those injured in the "accident".

Two separate and distinct causes of action.

what happens in a civil suit? does my insurance help that? how likely is that to happen? now I am really scared

what happens in a civil suit? does my insurance help that? how likely is that to happen? now I am really scared

Yes, your insurer will assist you.
I suggest you not be scared, just be diligent in defending yourself.
That is why its important to keep yoru insurer involved in your predicament.

Back