Real Estate Under A Trust And Someone Trying To Assume Increase In Value -please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronB2

Here is my question:

My mother recently passed away. She was married at the time, but seperated for 9 months and on the verge of divorce. Her house was in a trust, and was before she got married and is still in it today.

My Sister and Myself are the sole executors of that trust.

Her seperated husband claims he has some kind of "community property interest" in the house because he lived there for 7 years and put money into it and feels he could be due half of the raise in value during those 7 years. Is this true, or because the property is in a trust is it protected and he would not be eligible? My mother paid the full mortgage, always in her name.

ALSO, he owns a condo on his own. My mother owned her house coming into the marriage, he owned his condo. IF he was eligible for half of the raise in value on the house, wouldn't we then be able to be eligible for half of the raise in value on his condo under her estate (since we are executors and entitled to collect debts owed to her) - we would only act this in a counter-sue position if he acted first.

THANK YOU whomever for reading this. We don't have the $ to see a lawyer about this and I really appreciate your time for even looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back