Re: Possible Suit against deceased Estate/Beneficiaries

R

Robert G. Valdes

Jurisdiction
Florida
Case Description

I was engaged to be married last Sept. And my fiancee passed away in July. During the years that he and I were together neither he nor any of his friends/family told he that he had past occurrences of alcoholism and attempted suicide.

On July 05, he began drinking heavily and when I left for work at 5:30 am I believe he may have continued drinking when he woke up the next morning. And at some time that day (between 12 and 1 pm the police reported) He attempted to drive somewhere. Hitting a few fences and damaging his gas tank, to then hitting a tree and his automobile bursting into flames.

The autopsy revealed that his blood alcohol level was way above legal limits. After his death, it was brought to light by his ex-partner that had lived with my Fiancée for 10 years, that he had attempted suicide a few years earlier and was a severe alcoholic.( I did not know his ex-partner during my 2 year relationship, if not I think he would have told me), so that I could be aware of signs, etc.

After my fiancées death, it was also brought to light that even though he had TOLD his entire office staff, his supervising physician ( as my fiancée was a nurse practitioner), all my family, and most of our mutual friends that he wanted to make sure I was his beneficiary, ( he had not yet made the changes to his will, since we were to be married in 2 months he wanted to wait for me to change my name, as he knew I wanted too) .

His will named his friend of 7 years, as the beneficiary of his belongings, including the car I was currently paying for. (Because my fiancée was offered a better interest rate on my car if it was only in his name).

His friend/beneficiary stated he was going to make sure I was taken care of (And I have recorded conversations where he states that) but then he also passed away from Cancer last month (Janiary 18, 2017)

I feel that my fiancée, and his family and friends/beneficiary kept information from me, about my fiancées past suicide attempt and alcohol abuse because they were beneficiaries of his will and would have more to gain from me not knowing.
And they knew if something happened to him, they would benefit.

Now I find myself with PTSD, and all kinds of mental issues including Anxiety, and severe depression, after pulling up to my fiancées SUV burning in the road in front of our home, with his body in it. And later having to identify him thru the jewelry his was wearing. No to mention calling his family and mine to let them know that my fiancée was found deceased inside the burned out car.

Afterwards I was asked to move from my family house, and lose my car, and go thru more stress and anxiety than I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Then everyone mentioned above including the family/friend/beneficiary ( and now his beneficiaries, since the beneficiary died 5 months after my fiancée, even though the deceased beneficiaries didn't even know my fiancée.

This does not even seem moral, much less right, however by law, it is legal I've been told )That the beneficiaries beneficiaries inherit all my fiancées belonging's ( including both properties, In which I lived in the main home for almost 2 years, and helped maintain the other home for almost 2 years) my fiancées furniture, bank accounts, 401k 's, stocks and bonds, etc. amounting to over 500k)

However the whole time we were together, none of the persons above ever mentioned to me that he may be dangerous to himself when under the influence, and attempted sicide by hanging himself, ust a few years earlier.

I believe if I knew this information I may have been able to stop his death from happening, or at least seen the signs leading up to his death.

Can someone please advise If I would possibly have a case, against my deceased finacee or possibly the beneficiary himself (Now also deceased) or the deceased heirs, that gain everything my fiancée and I worked for the last few years to have?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've edited out your contact information for several reasons. 1 - Putting your contact information on line is dangerous. Makes you a target of scammers. 2 - No one who participates here would contact you offline to offer assistance. It's against the rules of the site.

As for your issues, the harsh reality is that nobody had any obligation to you either before or after your fieancee's death.

What you were "told" is irrelevant if no legal arrangements were made on your behalf.

Any financial involvement that you had is construed as a gift.

Sorry, but that was the risk you too by living, with and getting financially involved with, to someone to whom you were not legally married.

I know it's tough to swallow but, eventually, you will just have to accept the results and get on with your life as best you can, learning a healthy lesson from the experience.

Oh, you are certainly free to consult an attorney and review your options.

Sorry but named beneficiaries should prevail & you were engaged not married. Of course, you can talk to a lawyer as noted.

Back