Quitting and unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

miznistacrizzo

I currently work for a logistics pool for popular mall-brand retail clients. Needless to say, the weeks leading up to the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons is the busiest and most stressful time of the entire year. The company is family-owned and operated, leaving little room for consequence for the way they talk to their employees and even sometimes their customers.

The co-owner and managers are constantly telling the few of us in the office that we don't know what we are doing and are not capable of doing the job. Usually they make these brow-beatings very public and a topic of conversation with other people who are uninvolved. Today, in front of two temps in training and a visiting contact from one of our clients, the manager asked out loud why no one knew what was going on, although we knew exactly.

Frustrated after a year of working here, and culminating in this hectic season of bullying, I can no longer tolerate this job. I am a very capable person, and walked out for the evening in front of the manager. I did not intend to abandon the job; only to make a point of my aggravation with our treatment.

The easiest thing would be for them to take note of my frustration and allow me to continue. I would like to avoid the hassle of being broke and scampering though the classifieds for a new job, and I guarantee they don't have the time to train someone new. However, if they do not allow me to continue, what must I do to get my ducks in a row?

1) What can I do to indicate that I did not abandon the job?

2) If they decide to terminate me, would I be able to claim benefits for being released by the employer?

3) Is there any circumstance in which your working environment is a "push" factor to lead you to quit, while not being disqualified for benefits?

1.) That will be difficult since walking out IS abandonment. You will have to do the best you can to convince the powers that be of your intent to return. I'm not unsympathetic, believe me; I've been there. But you didn't help your cause any when you left.

2.) That's a good question and I can't provide a hard and fast answer to it. I would say the odds are better that you will be eligible for benefits than that you won't, since UI is generally geared in favor of the employee. However, the fact that you walked out will count against you. It's a tossup which way an examiner will see it.

3.) Yes, but the standard is different in every state and I have no way of telling whether or not your unnamed state will agree that your employer had reached that standard.

Sorry, the state is New Jersey. I heard something to the effect that in NJ, benefits were guaranteed after a minimum number of weeks, regardless of the circumstance. I'm sure I just misunderstood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back