question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmarker

I dont want to be legally and finacially responsible for a child whom is not in my custody or care. What course of action should I do?

I dont want to be legally and finacially responsible for a child whom is not in my custody or care. What course of action should I do?
Okay ... I sense that there is something more going on here. Now, we can speculate all day, or ask 20 questions, but it would be best if you could elaborate just a tad as to the situation.

Is this a custody and visitation issue? If so, what state is this in?

- Carl

I dont have any custody/visitation, no way to contact either. This is in washington state. I am so fed up,I want to end my obligations.

So, you just want to give it up? Nice.

Unfortunately for you, unless the other party agrees to allow you to discontinue your obligation, your kind of stuck to support the child you helped to create at least until the child is 18 ... possibly longer, depending on the dependency laws in your state and whether or not you are obligated to help support into college or not.

As frustrating as it might seem, this is not something you can just discontinue like a membership to the country club. You're stuck with it. So, you can either continue to fight and try to get some just visitation either through the courts or through kindness, or write it off as a long term debt you will have to pay.

- Carl

You cannot just terminate your rights. If there is a child support order you must pay it. If you want visits then go to court and fight the other parent. You just cannot walk away.

What if the mother is willing to agree to not want child support from me? She is on welfare. How would I approach the court? is there some form I can have her sign?

What if the mother is willing to agree to not want child support from me? She is on welfare. How would I approach the court? is there some form I can have her sign?
The court may not care. Unless the mother is capable of supporting the child on her own, the state is likely to seek money from you to pay for its costs if for nothing else.

Laws vary by state. It might be possible that mom can let you off the hook if you waive any and all claims to the child. But, that is something you will probably have to speak to an attorney about.

- Carl

You do realize that since mom is on welfare, you will be paying the state back every penny, right? If there is not currently a child support order, then the state will soon file one for her. Why should taxpayers pay for your kid?

I don't wish taxpayers to pay for my kid. My complaint is, I don't get to see my child anymore, and I don't get to make any decisions on his upbringing. I asked for an abortion also. I don't believe I should have to pay towards a unknown area onto as how it will contribute to his benefit. I last heard his mother was using drugs, I feel uneasy about paying scenario. I will look into waiving the claims. Thank you.

You have no control over what the woman does with her body. You got her pregnant, you are required to support the child. You are wanting to do something that is not possible. The state will not allow you to terminate rights. If you want to see the child, then file for visitation. You are wanting to do something that is not possible. We cannot help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back