Question joint car title.

R

Rorobirdie

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Hi,
I was in a long term relationship with an illegal immigrant. He decided to buy a car but did not have great credit. I co-signed on the loan for the car and also the title of the car. He is the user of the car and therefore has made 95% payments. We split up about a year ago. Since then he has been delinquent on paying off the loan negatively effecting my credit. After a lot of strife I finally got him to make automatic payments. Recently his license expired and he was unable to renew due to immigration. He got pulled over and charged with driving without a license, possession of marijuana and reckless driving charge. He is awaiting court when he may or may not be deported. I'm wondering what will happen to the car title and the loan when he is deported. If he leaves the country and stops paying the loan can I take possession of the car since I will be responsible for finishing the loan payments? Any info regarding this would be great.

If he leaves the country and stops paying the loan can I take possession of the car since I will be responsible for finishing the loan payments?

You could take possession of the car today, if you could find it.

It matters not who makes payments on a vehicle titles in two names.

Name one and name two EQUALLY own the car, even if name two never made a payment towards the loan.

However, in name one gets the insurance canceled, gets drunk and kills a baby, her expectant mother, and the baby's grandmother, and then name one dies (or lives); name two can be sued, if name two has deeper pockets than name one.

I suggest you have your name taken off the car title, and don't ever own anything with anyone unless you are married or partners in a legitimate business.

If he leaves the country and stops paying the loan can I take possession of the car since I will be responsible for finishing the loan payments?

Yes, you can take the car. You are as much an owner as he is.

Just understand that you won't be able to sell it as long as his name is on the title (unless the word "or" is between your names).

Back