Question about promo codes and code changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

promocodes

I was at a company's website redeeming a code I got. I had two codes and realized they were similiar except 3 numbers differed between the two of them. So I guessed numbers and got more codes. Can I use these codes or would it be illegal, or just immoral? I don't want to get in trouble, so just wondering.

If I did use them, could they ask for the stuff back? That includes the codes I had legitimately too?

Thanks and I appreciate it.

Not illegal.
If they later discover something wrong with the transaction and believe you owe them more money then they will have legal options to seek remedy.

awesome I appreciate it. So basically all they could do is fear tactics like call and badger, but they really have no legal ground to stand on?

Well that's the thing, they gave the individual unique code out to people, but I noticed the disrepency between the codes, and guessed random numbers and got more codes than the ones they gave me. I mean, can I get in trouble for using codes that aren't for me?

Like say the codes they gave me were promo123 and the other was promo234, I noticed they're pretty much the exact same and then started changing those last three to stuff like 567 and got more codes that weren't given to me, is THAT part illegal, to use those codes?

And if I did use them, would they have any grounds to get the stuff back, if in their ToS it even says "We don't consider a transaction done and valid until we ship the order"?

Last edited:
I was at a company's website redeeming a code I got. I had two codes and realized they were similiar except 3 numbers differed between the two of them. So I guessed numbers and got more codes. Can I use these codes or would it be illegal, or just immoral? I don't want to get in trouble, so just wondering.

If I did use them, could they ask for the stuff back? That includes the codes I had legitimately too?
How did you get these codes? Were there any terms you were exposed to during the process? Is there any information about using codes and requirements of use posted?

It still isn't illegal.
After you make the online purchase, the company still has opportunity to reject the purchase when they process it.
If they make the sale and send you a product, then they have two options... they can either ask you nicely to even up, or they can make a civil claim.
Most likely, they will realize that they goofed by allowing the promo code, will disable it, and will cut their losses.
But... if you found some kind of deal where you are getting stuff for free or managing to get a 90% discount.... they will likely reverse the transaction in no time at all. No sale.

I don't know if I can call it "illegal" but there could be a monetary penalty if there are terms on the web site are dictated, e.g. one code per person, sent to an email address, penalty for improper use is $X, etc. Hard to say exactly what will happen. Regardless, I seriously doubt you'll get arrested and I'm guessing that, at most, you might pay more than you thought.

I didn't see anything on the codes, I bought them off of eBay in the first place, so I don't even know if that's "illegal" or even if THOSE ones were stolen, but i'm guessing that's a discussion for another time.

It still isn't illegal.
After you make the online purchase, the company still has opportunity to reject the purchase when they process it.
If they make the sale and send you a product, then they have two options... they can either ask you nicely to even up, or they can make a civil claim.
Most likely, they will realize that they goofed by allowing the promo code, will disable it, and will cut their losses.
But... if you found some kind of deal where you are getting stuff for free or managing to get a 90% discount.... they will likely reverse the transaction in no time at all. No sale.

What if that IS the case and the stuff DOES ship? Can they do anything? Like, once it leaves their hands, according to their ToS atleast, it says that once they ship the stuff they consider the order "complete" so, that's where i'm getting hazy in all this.

So the most they could do though is just say "we want compensation" but they couldn't really do any legal action, because, atleast according to their ToS, once they ship it, it's a valid order.

I apprecaite all the help, kinda unnerved from this in the first place. I'm going to make sure I go all over the ToS and all this stuff.

If the sale goes through and they ship something to you... it's their own fault for completing the sale. There isn't much more they could do other than ask you to pay more money. They might go so far as to send you a bill, but you would be under no obligation to pay it unless a judge told you to.

I didn't see anything on the codes, I bought them off of eBay in the first place, so I don't even know if that's "illegal" or even if THOSE ones were stolen, but i'm guessing that's a discussion for another time.
OK... NOW we are getting to the heart of the matter. :) You could be a person who would be considered to have been innocently duped but not with regard to figuring out the code used and then using those codes to generate discounts. Regarding the eBay codes typically they all come with some terms on the coupon but you should also be able to see them on the site. At worst, I'm guessing that if the sale does go through and they discover afterwards, they may have the right to make a demand for payment without the coupon discount - so I think mightymoose has a good take on this and that your liability, if anything, will likely be civil if it comes to that.

What if that IS the case and the stuff DOES ship? Can they do anything? Like, once it leaves their hands, according to their ToS atleast, it says that once they ship the stuff they consider the order "complete" so, that's where i'm getting hazy in all this.

So the most they could do though is just say "we want compensation" but they couldn't really do any legal action, because, atleast according to their ToS, once they ship it, it's a valid order.

I apprecaite all the help, kinda unnerved from this in the first place. I'm going to make sure I go all over the ToS and all this stuff.
Technically they can take legal action for a valid order if you've used codes that you've figured out would work but weren't entitled to use. I don't know what the terms were on the coupon. Should they have adequate protection... sure. Now I'm not giving you any assurance or telling you that you should do anything but if you choose to use them, look at the terms carefully both around the discount code (there might be a pop up or link) and with regard to checkout. I know that at many sites they make you click to agree to the terms of use of the site. At worst you might get stuck with them demanding payment on the item without the discount code.

Is there osme kind of thing that says how long they have to send a bill or whatever? cause if I did get stuff, I wouldn't mind holding off on opening the stuff, but that's begs the question of "when is safe?"

It's hard, but I appreciate all the help. No more being unnerved :D

If the sale goes through and they ship something to you... it's their own fault for completing the sale. There isn't much more they could do other than ask you to pay more money. They might go so far as to send you a bill, but you would be under no obligation to pay it unless a judge told you to.
I agree with you to some degree - if a company discovers that a customer defeated their coupon system with knowledge that what they were doing was in appropriate (e.g. reverse engineering the coding) then it's not necessarily the company's fault, is it?

With regard to your second part, true that it isn't final until a judge says it is... BUT... if it comes to a judge saying so then it may also come with penalties!!! :D

Educated guess? We are babbling about legal technicalities. If you're talking about a $2,000 TV and used a 25% off coupon that didn't belong to you that you reverse engineered that's one thing. But if it's 10% off of a $100 shaver, my guess is that the company won't bother to prosecute given the cost of enforcement and effort.

OK... NOW we are getting to the heart of the matter. :) You could be a person who would be considered to have been innocently duped but not with regard to figuring out the code used and then using those codes to generate discounts. Regarding the eBay codes typically they all come with some terms on the coupon but you should also be able to see them on the site. At worst, I'm guessing that if the sale does go through and they discover afterwards, they may have the right to make a demand for payment without the coupon discount - so I think mightymoose has a good take on this and that your liability, if anything, will likely be civil if it comes to that.

When I used the code on the site, it takes off a certain amount, and theres no rules or anything, it's weird. I mean, the ebay auction didn't say anything regarding them so.

Technically they can take legal action for a valid order if you've used codes that you've figured out would work but weren't entitled to use. I don't know what the terms were on the coupon. Should they have adequate protection... sure. Now I'm not giving you any assurance or telling you that you should do anything but if you choose to use them, look at the terms carefully both around the discount code (there might be a pop up or link) and with regard to checkout. I know that at many sites they make you click to agree to the terms of use of the site. At worst you might get stuck with them demanding payment on the item without the discount code.

I see, so not totally in the clear then. :(. Just question, what would the legal action be? Would it be considered fraud?

The other thing I also am unsided on is the companies fault thing; I mean, it's not like they didn't have people reviewing the orders before they get shipped or w/e, so.

Also, lets say I do make a order and it goes through and ships, how long do I know until i'm "in the clear"?

Last edited:
Personally, if the transaction cleared and I received the item, I would not be worried about anything. If the company later discovered a discrepancy it would be better off to simply fix the problem rather than incur more expenses trying to get me to pay the bill. I guess I just don't have a conscience :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back