Question about going to Law school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latverian

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
Hello,

I am a 42 male.I have worked in the information technology field for 20 years. I have lost the fire for IT and was wondering if 42 is too old to star school and become a lawyer?

I would have to attain my bachelor's degree. My desired role would b that of prosecution That is the only area of law I have a passion for and would not want to be a defense attorney.

The only thing on my background is a $40 check that I bounced but I am currently In the courts for a possession of an illegal substance and drug and public intoxication.

If convicted of that would that disqualify me from being able to become a lawyer!?.

Any adviser on The best and quickest way I can do this would be greatly appreciated. If it is possible at my age and realistic to become an attorney I am willing to dedicate my self and show my studies the justice it deserves to achieve this goal.

Will
Any bachelor's degree work? What other areas of study would compliment my studies in law that in should sign up for while attaining my bachelors degree?

I would also need to get on depression meds and some type of ADHD Medications Both of these afflictions have hindered my progress in life and in IT. I had to take one of my IT certifications twice to pass and had to study for both reading and studying the same books over and over before it sank it. I did have the luxury of working in my field while I studied so that was a positive plus I had a strong passion for it which I believe is nesecary to progress in any endeavor.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice/recommendation.

If you can't even figure out which area of the forum to post your question to I would look for another career.

This has NOTHING to do with "auto accidents and injuries".

:rolleyes:

if 42 is too old to star school and become a lawyer?

No, mate, if you wish to attend law school, there are several that will allow you to give it a go.

In fact, some states: California, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington; will allow a person who has not attended law school to take the bar exam after reading law under a judge or practicing attorney for an extended period of time.

In addition, New York, Maine, and Wyoming require apprenticeships to be combined with law school.

That may work for you, as I know three people who did exactly that.
Its akin to interning or apprenticing yourself to a lawyer or a judge to become a practicing, licensed lawyer.

You can also go the traditional route, take the LSAT, apply to several law schools, serve your three year sentence in law school, and you can sit for the bar exam.

Any Bachelor's degree will do, so good luck.

You need much more than a bachelor degree. Age is not an issue. Your criminal history might be taken into consideration by a law school, but it is not necessarily something that would prevent you from pursuing this.
How to Become a Lawyer in Kentucky - KY | Education Requirements

Thank you for the sound advice everyone..

I want to make this a reality if at all possible.

When you come close to losing your life as I just did it really changes you in an instant and makes one prioritize their life .

Some of my hopes and dreams I have wasted or squandered away but I know some with hard work and patience are still within reach if I want it bad enough and willing to sacrifice to make it happen.

All my words as of late have been hollow as I have lacked the strength and desire to put them into practice due to both an addiction and life tragedy.

Both have a way of robbing you of yourself and yoiu are left with a shadow of who and what you really are.

Its funny I have searched hard for a way to suffer and be hurt in the hopes that I would/could find my self again or earn redemption so that I could be who I once was and who I reality am and in the end it was a truly frightful event that allowed me too for the first time reflect on my life and how I've been living that gave me my true self back.

No completely mind you but it gave me back some of mky former strength and discipline so that I can actually fight to regain the rest.

And now failure is not an option . no matter if it be this or staying off of drugs, or working full time.

I feel nothing but the desire and the passion to tur.nThis small spark inside of me into a flame and then a fire and finally a roaring blaze..

If I fail or should I give up then I put my fate into the hands of better men and trust in them to do to me what they feel I'm deserving of.

Thanks again mates.

I'm looking forward to this journey just as muchnas I am reaching the destination.

I am a 42 male.I have worked in the information technology field for 20 years. I have lost the fire for IT and was wondering if 42 is too old to star school and become a lawyer?

If a person goes straight to college after finishing high school and graduates in four years and then proceeds directly into law school and graduates in three years, that person will be 24-25 years old upon graduation. I started law school when I was 30 (nearly 31) and graduated when I was 33 (and was 34 when I got my bar exam results and was admitted to the bar). I was certainly not the oldest person in my graduating class of 300+ students, but I think I was probably one of the 30 or so oldest students. After graduating, I worked at a top California firm before going in-house.

With that background, I would say that there is some bias relating to newer lawyers who are older than the "traditional" new lawyer. Whether or not you'd find something similar in Kentucky is something that I can't speak to.

With that said, no, 42 is not too old to start law school. One of the problems you may encounter, however, is that older students tend to be somewhat set in their ways as far as how they think and express themselves, and a big part of law school is figuring out how to present information in the way that someone else wants it. Creativity and thinking outside the box are generally not rewarded.

The only thing on my background is a $40 check that I bounced but I am currently In the courts for a possession of an illegal substance and drug and public intoxication.

If convicted of that would that disqualify me from being able to become a lawyer!?

A current/recent conviction involving drugs could present big problems for you. It could make you ineligible for federally-guaranteed student loans. Additionally, substance abuse is a relatively big problem for lawyers (in California, we have to take continuing education that is specifically focused on this issue). It would be one thing if you had something like this on your record from 20+ years ago, but current substance abuse issues are going to throw up a red flag, and I would suggest you seek an appointment with a law school adviser before investing a lot of time or money into this. As for the bounced check, that depends on how long ago it was, but it probably won't be a big issue.

Will
Any bachelor's degree work?

Yes.

What other areas of study would compliment my studies in law that in should sign up for while attaining my bachelors degree?

Anything that teaches critical thinking and logical reasoning.

I would also need to get on depression meds....

Something else to discuss with an adviser before starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back