question about a civil lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdummy

Hello, I was involved in a civil lawsuit because of something that I was involved in. I decided to settle out of court to eliminate the extremely high cost this case could have caused me. because I settled I had to pay a large sum of money.

I know of somebody else that is in the same boat as myself, however the plaintiff does not have the same incriminating evidence against this other person. The plaintiff obviously has some eveidence on them because they have been contacted and threatened with a lawsuit. For whatever reason they have not been contacted again and the lawsuit pursued like myself. For personal reasons I don't wish to let thus guy get off when he was as guilty as I was if not more, and I end up paying for it. I have thought about contacting the law firm handling the case and offering to give information that could be used to prosecute this other person in exchange for a refund of some of my settlement.

My question is if I approach them on this matter and they decide not to work out a deal with me, can they somehow force me to digulge the information since I have given them reason to believe I have information that is pertinent to the case.

My other question is whether or not my offer would even be considered or if it would be laughed at. My settlement was for about $5000 and I would like to try to negotiate about $2000-$2500 to be refunded in exchange for the information that could be used to prosecute this other person.

Another question is how could I ensure that if the firm accepts my offer based on being ableto provide sufficient information for successful prosecution, that they don't try to rip me off by saying that the information was not sufficient, but then they use it to indirectly get more information and end up prosecuting him.

I know this may seem very unethical, but trust me...I have very good reason for wanting to make this person pay like I did.

lawdummy said:
Hello, I was involved in a civil lawsuit because of something that I was involved in. I decided to settle out of court to eliminate the extremely high cost this case could have caused me. because I settled I had to pay a large sum of money.

I know of somebody else that is in the same boat as myself, however the plaintiff does not have the same incriminating evidence against this other person. The plaintiff obviously has some eveidence on them because they have been contacted and threatened with a lawsuit. For whatever reason they have not been contacted again and the lawsuit pursued like myself. For personal reasons I don't wish to let thus guy get off when he was as guilty as I was if not more, and I end up paying for it. I have thought about contacting the law firm handling the case and offering to give information that could be used to prosecute this other person in exchange for a refund of some of my settlement.

My question is if I approach them on this matter and they decide not to work out a deal with me, can they somehow force me to digulge the information since I have given them reason to believe I have information that is pertinent to the case.

My other question is whether or not my offer would even be considered or if it would be laughed at. My settlement was for about $5000 and I would like to try to negotiate about $2000-$2500 to be refunded in exchange for the information that could be used to prosecute this other person.

Another question is how could I ensure that if the firm accepts my offer based on being ableto provide sufficient information for successful prosecution, that they don't try to rip me off by saying that the information was not sufficient, but then they use it to indirectly get more information and end up prosecuting him.

I know this may seem very unethical, but trust me...I have very good reason for wanting to make this person pay like I did.

I'm a little bit confused. If this is the same lawsuit and both of you caused damages but they were only able to sue you and you may have paid for part of the damages that were also caused by this other person, then your attorney should have tried to join this party in the lawsuit and then in the settlement. You still might be able to sue this person for indemnification. I'm still unsure why you wouldn't have agreed to negotiate this beforehand as maybe you would have been able to pay less in return for your information.

I'm not sure what kind of a renegotiation you can do about the amount but you should speak to your attorney and let him/her handle the discussion with the other firm. Didn't you speak to him to this effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back