Naturalization, Citizenship qualify for US citizenship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjupp

I was born in 1974 in Canada to a US mother and Canadian father. My mother was born in the US in 1952 and moved to Canada in 1968. She married my father and stayed in Canada until 2004. My mother never reported my birth abroad. In May 2004 she moved back to the US where she currently lives and works. I have been in the US since 2001 as an H1B worker and would like to stay in the US. I have researched this issue and have found varying results on the residency requirements-based on the year I was born-some say 10 years 5 of which have to be after 14, and some say 10 years 5 of which have to be after 16. Does anyone know the exact res requirements? My mother lived in the US until 16 and will have been here for 3 more years in 07. So I am wondering if I can apply for a US passport / citizenship then? I am also wondering if I will be able to stay and work in the US while I wait for that to come through? Also, if I do get US citizenship, can I keep my Canadian citizenship?-that is very important to me Thanks, Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back