Copyright Puzzle Game

Kyle B

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,

Recently, for fun, I've been creating some Music puzzles (Word Search) where at the top of the page is the name of the Band or Artist, and I select a number of Song Titles from their discography to be placed/hidden within the puzzle grid for people who enjoy playing puzzle games. It's word search, but in this case, it's actually song search.

My question - Would it be legally allowed to create a word search puzzle book with this type of content? Not trying to infringe on anyone's intellectual property nor ill intent, just thought it to be a creative idea and if anything, it's free promotion in a sense to look at it in a positive light. Word Search books don't sell in big numbers, so no one's getting rich off this idea. I just thought it would be more entertaining, that's all.

Thank you for your time,

KB

I don't see that as a problem. Facts given as a part of a game or puzzle aren't generally going to result in copyright or trademark infringement.

Where you'd get into trouble is if you did something like develop a game that revolved around, and was marketed on, a particular band brand, like the the Rolling Stones edition of Trivial pursuit. That game had the band's name and images of the band members on the box — they were clearly targeting Rolling Stones fans and using the Rolling Stones trademark to get sales. Same thing with the Monopoly Rolling Stones edition. The makers of those games would need permission from the Stones to do it. They are using much more than simple facts as part of a game, they are making the entire game theme around the Stones -- using their trademarks, images, etc.

Thank you so much for that detailed understanding, much appreciated ! My puzzle book would be a collection of various bands/artists, not on anyone particular. Just a big mix, really.

Hello,

Recently, for fun, I've been creating some Music puzzles (Word Search) where at the top of the page is the name of the Band or Artist, and I select a number of Song Titles from their discography to be placed/hidden within the puzzle grid for people who enjoy playing puzzle games. It's word search, but in this case, it's actually song search.

My question - Would it be legally allowed to create a word search puzzle book with this type of content?

I don't see that as a problem. Facts given as a part of a game or puzzle aren't generally going to result in copyright or trademark infringement.

Where you'd get into trouble is if you did something like develop a game that revolved around, and was marketed on, a particular band brand, like the the Rolling Stones edition of Trivial pursuit. That game had the band's name and images of the band members on the box — they were clearly targeting Rolling Stones fans and using the Rolling Stones trademark to get sales. Same thing with the Monopoly Rolling Stones edition. The makers of those games would need permission from the Stones to do it. They are using much more than simple facts as part of a game, they are making the entire game theme around the Stones -- using their trademarks, images, etc.

Back