Purchased acres in November but lease agreement had been signed in October by previous owner

Texas6023

Jurisdiction
Texas
Purchased acres in November but lease agreement had been signed in October by previous owner. And payment is funded when contract is signed in October. All this time I assumed farmer had been busy and hadn't had time to get with me to sign contract. But in reality he had paid previous owner one month prior to me purchasing property. So my question is since the property was legally owned by me the time of crops being planted and harvested shouldn't I have the right to some partial payment if not all? Or is it legal for previous owner to have been paid and been able to have sold property?

So my question is since the property was legally owned by me the time of crops being planted and harvested shouldn't I have the right to some partial payment if not all?

Hard to say. Depends on the terms and conditions of your contracts with the farmer and the seller which we can't read from here.

Are you not getting monthly rent from the farmer who is now your tenant?

And why wasn't this all worked out in your purchase contract with the previous owner?

So far, I don't see anything illegal going on.

If you didn't consider all these possibilities when you agreed to purchase the property, you may be stuck with the bargain you made.

You know for so much information That was supposed to be given to me on this purchase this is the least communication that I have ever received. I was told by realtors that if I wanted farmer to keep farming or not to farm to let him know by November. Wasn't told that a contract was just started with previous owner and payment had been made for crops that were planted 4 months later. I did talk to farmer sometime in April and talked about continuing lease but figured I was to be paid for this years harvest.. Previous owner never spoke to me. I always spoke with realtor. I've already been to court once because previous owner was removing tub and faucets after the sell was complete. And I wasn't sure when or how payments would be made but they are made yearly in October for the upcoming year..

Sorry, but I have no way of commenting without reading all the contracts.

This is all stuff that you should have investigated thoroughly before buying the property and it all should have been nailed down in the contracts.

Nobody had any obligation to teach you how this works. It was up to you to find out.

If you think you got stiffed out of last October's payment by the seller, and it's big money, I suggest you get yourself an attorney.

Well I guess I'm learning as we go. Guess I should have been born knowing all the laws?

Complaint I have is because I'm paying the taxes on land but the previous owner is collecting on the farm lease? That doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't he be responsible for paying taxes for the amount of months the lease is good for on the land?

Well I guess I'm learning as we go. Guess I should have been born knowing all the laws?

Complaint I have is because I'm paying the taxes on land but the previous owner is collecting on the farm lease? That doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't he be responsible for paying taxes for the amount of months the lease is good for on the land?

Do yourself a favor, visit a real estate lawyer.

In the future, never purchase real estate without hiring a real estate attorney to review EVERY DOCUMENT.

Good luck.

Back