Purchased a lemon

Vinncent

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I purchased a bad vehicle from a shady dealer. I was not there to sign the final papers of the auto contract and they pressured my wife into signing the contract. The dealer also lied to the bank giving the loan stating that we had $1200 to put down when we only had a 1000, which we have a receipt for $1000 but the contract says $1200. I am just curious if this is a breach of contract? The vehicle has a bad engine and has sand on top of the engine block.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, you bought it, you own it. Should have read and understood the contract. Nobody put a gun to your wife's head. Should have arranged for a mechanic to go with you to the dealer to examine the car. Should have done a lot of things but you didn't.

You are free to file a complaint with any appropriate state agencies.

You let her go to the dealer herself, with the $1000, and she signed your name to the contract. That's the equivalent of consent.

As for "pressured", again, nobody put a gun to her head. She could have said no, got up and walked out.

I purchased a bad vehicle from a shady dealer. I was not there to sign the final papers of the auto contract and they pressured my wife into signing the contract. The dealer also lied to the bank giving the loan stating that we had $1200 to put down when we only had a 1000, which we have a receipt for $1000 but the contract says $1200. I am just curious if this is a breach of contract?

It doesn't appear to b breach of contract, but it MIGHT be some sort of fraud.

However, your spouse allegedly signed the contract.

You might try your state's auto dealer services agency and see what you can learn:

Secretary of State : Dealers Division: Auto Dealer Services Division Forms

This under your state's SoS
Division Contact Information/General Inquiries
Auto DealerServices Main Line 317-234-7190
Fax 317-233-1915
E-mail Dealer@sos.IN.gov

They changed the numbers on the contract and forced her to sign my name pretty sure this is against the law.

"Forced"?

No.

"Changed the numbers"?

She could have said no.

Sure, the dealer used high pressure sale tactics. That's what they do and there's nothing illegal about taking advantage of weak people with no sales resistance.

Now, if you can prove that they misrepresented the condition of the car, that's something you might be able to do something about.

I suggest you and your wife take your paperwork to an attorney and review your options.

If you call the bank and tell of the misrepresentation regarding the down payment amount, as well as the fraudulent signatures, it is possible that the bank will refuse to fund the contract to the dealer. Otherwise as far as the condition of the vehicle, you need to see if you signed an "as is" document. The time to have the vehicle checked out was before either of you signed anything.

If you call the bank and tell of the misrepresentation regarding the down payment amount, as well as the fraudulent signatures, it is possible that the bank will refuse to fund the contract to the dealer.

That might result in the dealer not getting the money, repossessing the car, selling it for a lot less than owed, and suing the OP for the unpaid amount or sending it to collections.

It's possible only if the dealership carries a finance license(like buy here pay here.) But more than likely if the dealership cannot obtain financing, they will take the car back and reverse the sale.

Back