Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

vittocs

I sold a puppy about 3 months ago to a couple. A couple of days ago the lady brought the puppy back. She said," She could not housebreak the puppy". She said her husband struck the puppy out of anger for urinating on the floor, and threatened to take the puppy off and drop it off on the side of the road. She proceded to bring the puppy back to us and said she did not want any monies back for the puppy, but instead just wanted the puppy to be rehomed to a good home. We took back the puppy and the following day rehomed the puppy. A day after that the original owner called and requested the puppy back.
I have already given the puppy a new home and now the original owner is threatening to take us to court to get the puppy back. Do they have a legitimate claim to get the puppy back or is there requst to rehome the puppy stand?
I live in North Carolina.
Please Help!!! I don't know what to do!!!

This would be a small claims case. As Seniorjudge likes to say, anyone can sue for anything and the judgement can go either way 50/50 chance of winning or losing. But they wouldn't get the puppy back, only their money. That being said, did any one witness the original owner returning the puppy and her statements of no monies and rehoming? Even if it is your child, that may work in your favor and the fact she gave it back to you saying the husband abused it (I would play that up in court) will definately work in your favor. I would tell her so sue me and repeat to her what she said to me...like didn't you tell me your husband abused the puppy? And ask, what do you think the judge will say about that? Of course, only say that if you have a witness to back you up as if you don't have a witness, you'll be giving away your defense strategy. Good luck and let the forum know what happens. BTW, How much was the puppy, that may make a difference too if it was a really expensive puppy, the judge could say why didn't you call and reconfirm they didn't want the puppy. You could promise her a new puppy from the next litter since the puppy is rehomed and if they refuse tell the judge your offer and their refusal. He/She could order you give them new puppy instead of money...BUT definately tell judge about the abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back