Weapons, Guns, Firearms Pulled gun out, but did not point at anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

wowzaa

My boyfriend has a concealed weapons permit and whenever he goes out he carries his handgun. This is out of defense and he is very smart and careful about handling and operating firearms.

Last week at a small house party at my sister's house, consisting of a group of close friends, a coworker showed up around 2 am and brought a friend along who none of us have ever met before. My boyfriend saw that this person was carrying a gun on them in the back of his pants. As it is respectful to avoid bringing firearms into people's homes unless it is positively okay with the home owner, my boyfriend asks the stranger to take his gun off because he's in somebody elses house. The man said no and immediately became hostile/defensive. This scared everyone because we have no idea who this guy is or what he is capable of. So my boyfriend goes and grabs his gun and says put your gun in the car or leave. He puts the gun in the car and things calm down. Everyone at the party was drinking alcohol and were somewhat drunk. After a night of hearing racist comments from this guy and his friend, they disrespect us enough to where we ask them to leave. When they don't leave right away and start asking questions and stalling, my boyfriend grabs his gun yet again, never pointing it at anyone this whole time, and gets them out of the house. The friend of our coworker filed a police report and today a police officer showed up at my sister's house asking questions.

My question is, what can become of this police report? And is there any law being broken here?

My question is, what can become of this police report? And is there any law being broken here?

Your mistake was that you did not call the police directly after the event. If someone comes into your premises with a non-concealed firearm that in itself is a serious offense (assuming in your state that permits are for concealed carry). The details of your boyfriend brandishing his own firearm are vague, so it is difficult to say what charges could be brought against him. They both could be charged with breach of the peace.

Laws vary by state. Once your boyfriend grabbed his gun, he potentially brandished the firearm. Even if not criminal if he should complain about it to the agency that licensed your boyfriend to carry it, he could lose that permit.

Going "hands on" with a gun during a house party - twice - is a little extreme and could be indicative of one or both parties have a wee sense of immaturity.

Also, it is very likely that he is not to be carrying it where alcohol is being consumed anyway. Now, whether a private residence is exempt, or just his own private residence is something I cannot address.

He should consider consulting an attorney.

- Carl

I hope your boyfriend loses the right to carry a hand-gun. that was an immature and idiotic move! What if the stranger retaliated, guns blazing, like a drive-by, etc after your party angered them.

You don't show somebody a gun in anger unless you are going to use it.

I have been armed much of the time for 18 years and have yet to ever go for a gun off duty - even on the two occasions I encountered combative subjects!

Dealing with the clown with the gun at the party should have been easy: Have the resident ask the person to leave the gun in the car or leave - same with his causing a disturbance. Going for a gun because of rude or obnoxious behavior is not appropriate, and could well be unlawful under the right circumstances.

- Carl

May I ask a silly question?

Where was the owner of the house during all this, and why was he or she not dealing with it instead of your boyfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back