Public Schools and Contracts

Nicholas Tallon

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hello all, first post, so please don't flame me.

I have been getting increasingly mad at my school for blocking websites and invading my privacy with GoGuardian. I want to bring my own laptop/internet (because they block sites through internet access as well) but as far as I can see since I have agreed to the school's contract then I can't really do anything about my censorship problem because they legally can censor it. If I can, I'll attach my school's code of conduct. If I don't sign it next year, can they legally prevent me from attending school? It doesn't seem legal to me because in my eyes if the state makes you attend school and my zoning makes me attend WCHS, then when they force me to sign contracts, all my legal rights have been flown out the door.

I also want to inquire if the school can legally block websites that don't interrupt school sessions. In fact, the way they block school websites actually interrupts the school system because sometimes when researching for articles I write for homework, I get the research material blocked. In my eyes, it's fine when they block CoolMathGames or websites like that, but when they block me from changing settings on my Chromebook (i.e. I can't even change my keyboard to international for Spanish class), that seems inappropriate. Sorry if this has turned into a rant.

Thanks in advance, I'll appreciate all the help I can get.
Nick

Attachments

• Student_Handbook_2021-2022.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Nothing prevents YOU from using YOUR laptop unimpeded on YOUR mobile phone carrier's network tethered to your mobile phone.

You can access any internet service provider and pay your bill, without any censorship or snooping by the school district.

In a capitalist society, there are a myriad of chouces.

However, if you wish to use someone's internet for FREE, you obey their rules.

You have no case, other than irritability caused by censorship.

I've given you a solution, pay your own way, do your own thing.

Beggars and Freeloaders have few choices.

Nothing prevents YOU from using YOUR laptop unimpeded on YOUR mobile phone carrier's network tethered to your mobile phone.
The restrictions are part of the laptop configuration, not the network configuration.

The restrictions are part of the laptop configuration, not the network configuration.

Yes, BUT if one supplies her/his LAPTOP and uses her/his internet carrier, one has zero restrictions.

My wife and I stayed in a hotel last weekend.

We used our own carrier, rather than the supposed FREE hotel carrier.

I come prepared.

I use my own stuff.

I have no restrictions.

I have my own laptops, mobile phones, tablets.

I make my own rules.

I fully understood what the OP asked.

I am a native English speaker, and have no need for your interpreter services.

Have a very nice day. :)

Beggars and Freeloaders have few choices.

Yes, BUT if one supplies her/his LAPTOP and uses her/his internet carrier, one has zero restrictions.
I do understand your point...
However...
The school is allowed to restrict what websites are viewed on school property during school hours. The young student can find him/her self in hot water even when using his/her own equipment.

I have been getting increasingly mad at my school for blocking websites and invading my privacy with GoGuardian.

When you say, "my school," I assume you are a student at the high school for which you attached a handbook. Correct? How old are you? What websites are being blocked that you're not happy about? How is the school invading your privacy? Have you discussed the issues raised in your post with your parents?

I want to bring my own laptop/internet (because they block sites through internet access as well) but as far as I can see since I have agreed to the school's contract then I can't really do anything about my censorship problem because they legally can censor it.

I'm guessing you're in high school and probably a minor. If that's correct, then the school administration and faculty stand in place of your parents and can pretty much do anything your parents can do. You have virtually no expectation of privacy in such a situation. And that's even more true if you're at a private school. And none of this has anything to do with you having signed a contract.

If I can, I'll attach my school's code of conduct.

You attached a 71-page student handbook. You don't expect anyone to read through the whole thing, do you?

If I don't sign it next year, can they legally prevent me from attending school?

Sign what? I may have missed it, but I quickly scrolled through and saw nowhere for you to sign the student handbook.

It doesn't seem legal to me because in my eyes if the state makes you attend school and my zoning makes me attend WCHS, then when they force me to sign contracts, all my legal rights have been flown out the door.

Which legal rights are you concerned with. Please be specific and indicate the supposed source of each right with which you're concerned.

I also want to inquire if the school can legally block websites that don't interrupt school sessions.

What does "block websites" mean? If the school supplies internet access, including providing a WiFi connection, it absolutely may block access to certain websites. Of course, it depends on what those websites are and the reason(s) for blocking access.

In fact, the way they block school websites actually interrupts the school system because sometimes when researching for articles I write for homework, I get the research material blocked.

In such a situation, you should discuss the matter with your teacher. One can reasonably assume that a teacher could request that a particular site be unblocked.

when they block me from changing settings on my Chromebook (i.e. I can't even change my keyboard to international for Spanish class), that seems inappropriate.

When you asked your Spanish teacher or the chairperson of the foreign language department or someone in the school's IT department about being able to change your keyboard for Spanish class, what response did you receive?

Woah, that's a lot of questions.
Which legal rights are you concerned with. Please be specific and indicate the supposed source of each right with which you're concerned.
My freedom of speech and my privacy rights, I don't want them constantly looking at my business

What does "block websites" mean? If the school supplies internet access, including providing a WiFi connection, it absolutely may block access to certain websites. Of course, it depends on what those websites are and the reason(s) for blocking access.
They just redirect blacklisted websites to blocked.com or just interrupt your internet connection

When you asked your Spanish teacher or the chairperson of the foreign language department or someone in the school's IT department about being able to change your keyboard for Spanish class, what response did you receive?
She did talk with IT and they didn't change anything.

How old are you?
15, I'm assuming I get more legal rights when I'm 18

How is the school invading your privacy?
They can see my browser history, my current tabs open, they can close my tabs at any time without warning or asking. They also made it so I can't change any website settings, comment on YouTube videos, etc. They use GoGuardian. I get them limiting access to the internet, but it feels like they abuse their power.

Woah, that's a lot of questions.

Legal issues depend on facts. Questions allow for clarification of facts, which results in better and more focused responses.

My freedom of speech and my privacy rights, I don't want them constantly looking at my business

Students' free speech rights are subject to significant restriction -- even in public schools. As far as privacy rights, as I noted previously, public school students have VERY little expectation of privacy on campus during school hours.

They just redirect blacklisted websites to blocked.com or just interrupt your internet connection

That's perfectly legit unless, for example, the school is blocking only "liberal" sites while allowing access to "conservative" sites (or vice versa). That sort of thing would not be legal.

She did talk with IT and they didn't change anything.

Did anyone explain why?

15, I'm assuming I get more legal rights when I'm 18

Yes and no. You'll be a legal adult and no longer obligated to attend school. However, if you elect to do so, you'll be subject to the same rules as any other student (although a quick word search in your school handbook indicates certain rights under a law called FERPA (see p. 49).

They can see my browser history, my current tabs open, they can close my tabs at any time without warning or asking.

It's not without warning. You've been told that it may happen at any time. When you use someone else's equipment and/or internet connection, you don't have an expectation of privacy. It's the same for adults in their workplace. If an adult accesses the internet using his/her employer's computer and internet connection, that employee has no expectation of privacy.

it feels like they abuse their power.

If you don't like what's happening, talk with your parents to see if they agree. If they do, they can get involved with the PTA and/or attend school district meetings, etc. You can also start a club at school. Perhaps you and other like-minded students can effect change on campus.

Thanks for the help, I'm probably going to just live with it and complain about it when I'm older. I'm starting to think now that choosing to take action isn't going to be worth it.

Thanks for the help, I'm probably going to just live with it and complain about it when I'm older. I'm starting to think now that choosing to take action isn't going to be worth it.

I suspect that you'll find that you complain about it in your early adult-hood, but come to agree and support it as you go.

It's strange how things work out that way ;)

I'm probably going to just live with it and complain about it when I'm older.

When you are older you will have many other things to complain about. This will pale in comparison.

I suspect that you'll find that you complain about it in your early adult-hood, but come to agree and support it as you go.

It's strange how things work out that way ;)

When I was a kid I thought my parents didn't know anything.

When I became an adult raising children, it became apparent how smart they were.

Back