Property Taxes not paid

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmwyroba

I closed on a house on November 15, 2005. I recently received a notice of forclosure from the county I live in for failing to pay taxes in December of 2005. I have paperwork signed by the title company that states that they are resposible for the payment of any taxes that arise up to 90 days after closing. They admit that they did not pay it, and have told me that they will pay the interest and late fees, but not the taxes. I am going to have to pay this, because I do not want to lose my house for $1100. Am I able to recover this lost money?

Pay the taxes and penalties and interest immediately, then ask the title company to pay the penalties and interest.

You are liable for your own taxes.

But read the closing papers to see if they got money from you to pay the taxes.

I closed on a house on November 15, 2005. I recently received a notice of forclosure from the county I live in for failing to pay taxes in December of 2005. I have paperwork signed by the title company that states that they are resposible for the payment of any taxes that arise up to 90 days after closing. They admit that they did not pay it, and have told me that they will pay the interest and late fees, but not the taxes. I am going to have to pay this, because I do not want to lose my house for $1100. Am I able to recover this lost money?

What state is this in?

A Homestead Declaration is a legal document which can help to protect your house and property in times of economic hardship, and it has nothing to do with the process of filing a claim for HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION!! Rather, it's a short, notarized claim form that can oftentimes prevent the attachment of your land and dwelling by creditors.

Homestead Exemption is a property tax exemption and has separate legal or statutory basis. It is set up to allow a resident to exclude from the calculation of their ad valorem taxes of their residence.

Homestead rights don't exist under common law, but they have been enacted in at least 27 states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. If you own, and live on, property in any of these states, you should definitely take the time to file this important document.

I am a Realtor and where we live (MO) the sellers portion of the taxes (in your case 11 months of 2005) are credited to you on your closing statement (HUD1) from the title company. In most instances when taxes are due within a month our local title companies will pay the year end tax bill directly. However you need to check to see if the money came back to you (as credit on the statement which was probably applied to closing costs) or if they were paid. If not, and the taxes are were due 12/31/05 than you were responsbile. The seller doesn't actually pay the taxes if they don't live in the house on the due date but they should have paid you (in the form of a credit). Find your closing documents and look at each line item and then go back to the title company and ask for proof of where the money went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back