property rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey

I have lived in my house in PA for the past 22 years and owned an adjoining property for 7 years. Recently an old neighbor questioned our property lines so we had a land survey done and pins posted. It turns out that the neighbor has been dumping junk on what has now been determined to be our property for years. The junk includes an oil tank, pipes, bricks, wood, etc. from his construction business.
Do we have the legal right to ask him to move the junk off of our property? Can we remove the junk if he is unwilling to do it? We do not have a friendly relationship with the neighbor.

That's a tough question, especially with regard to easements. You allowed him to use your property for years and it might be long enough to qualify as an easement by prescription (a right to use the property) although this is a good question whether leaving junk qualifies. If the removal isn't an extremely high amount, you may want to compromise and agree to each pay half and just be glad that you now have more land than you thought!

Zoey said:
I have lived in my house in PA for the past 22 years and owned an adjoining property for 7 years. Recently an old neighbor questioned our property lines so we had a land survey done and pins posted. It turns out that the neighbor has been dumping junk on what has now been determined to be our property for years. The junk includes an oil tank, pipes, bricks, wood, etc. from his construction business.
Do we have the legal right to ask him to move the junk off of our property? Can we remove the junk if he is unwilling to do it? We do not have a friendly relationship with the neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back