Property Nuisance Abatement

jeancks

Jurisdiction
Arizona
The City of Phoenix has had an ongoing dispute with my friend for over 2 years now regarding zoning ordinances. They cited him for his belongings in his backyard, which is surrounded by a 6 foot high solid block wall. In order to see into his backyard, they went through the alley and stood on the back of their truck.

The zoning ordinance states that anything that can be seen from the bounds of the property is part of the zoning ordinance.

He missed all of the court dates because he never received any notice of violation or paperwork stating there was a court hearing. Which the code states as being labelled a receidavist, they are not required to provide notice.

They have decided that on August 8th they will do a property abatement and seize all of his belongings. Then charge him upwards of $20,000 for removal services.

I believe they are stealing his belonging and charging him for it. All of the things he owns are prime recycling items. The City of Phoenix was making bank selling recycling to China and they are researching making their own recycling centers so they don't have to sell to China.

The other problem is the fact that I have property on his property, and won't be able to remove it before abatement. Do I have any ability to stop this either temporarily or permanently?

Do I have any ability to stop this either temporarily or permanently?

I think YOU know he answer to that, don't you.

If you interfere with any legal process, you will live to regret such interference.

If you want to help your pal, HIRE a lawyer to assist him or her as he fights the city in court.

Anything else is simply futile , perhaps fatal attempt and a folly.

What I meant was if there was anything legally I could do to stop this. Such as an appeal or something. Since I DO have a vested interest in the matter. And if I HAD the money to hire a lawyer, I would have rather than make a post on a website with what appears to be cynical and possibly abusive moderators.

All of the things he owns are prime recycling items.

I.E., junk. Right? Be honest.

The other problem is the fact that I have property on his property, and won't be able to remove it before abatement. Do I have any ability to stop this either temporarily or permanently?

The dispute is between your friend and the city. It has nothing to do with you. In the two weeks before this seizure is supposedly to happen, I suggest you figure out a way to pick up and remove your stuff.

People think it is junk. But what is junk to one person are resources to another. Hence the point of recycling. Obviously The City of Phoenix doesn't believe it is all "junk" because they wouldn't be creating their own recycling facilities for the types of items that my friend has. Also, MY property is NOT junk. To him HIS property is NOT junk.

Also, while I am at it. Does it matter what items I am speaking of, as long as it isn't illegal?

Hypothetical: If someone, a random stranger, came to your house; stood on things in an alley, just to peer OVER your block wall and SPY on you, and then told you that you have to remove your belongings from the property because they don't like them and THEY think they are blight, what would you tell them?

Hypothetical: If someone, a random stranger, came to your house; stood on things in an alley, just to peer OVER your block wall and SPY on you, and then told you that you have to remove your belongings from the property because they don't like them and THEY think they are blight, what would you tell them?

City building or city ordinance enforcement officers aren't random strangers.

If you don't own the land on which your stuff resides, there is nothing you can do to forestall what the city plans to do.

In the interim, you can simply remove your belongings and transport them, eventually securing them in another location.

You MIGHT be able to successfully bring an action against your pal, if your belongings are lost.

The property owner does have recourse prior to the city's planned attack.

He or she can simply remove the belongings and secrete them elsewhere.

If what you're inquiring about is your ability to legally bring an action to stop the city, the answer is no.

You aren't a party to the action the city brought against your friend.

He has no means of appeal. The municipal court website says you have to have a final order to appeal. He called the court and they say there is no judgement only a fine. If there is no judgement how can they do anything?

To me, they are random strangers who have nothing better to do but impose THEIR will onto everyone else.

The law of the jungle has long been the same law imposed on so called "citizens" by entities that call themselves GOVERNMENTS.

It is all an illusion, mate, just one big illusion.

I'm just one of 350,000,000 so called denizens, ruled and controlled by about 100,000 overlords.

There's nothing I can do, unless the overlords permit me to do it.

This is part of the problem with the "justice" system. The "government" sends out spies to collect information on unsuspecting citizens and then they pick and choose what information to use and whom to prosecute. If they feel they can make a large enough lump sum, they go for it and even promote it.

A group of thugs doing illegal things under the auspice of law and legality. Providing immunity to themselves based on title and size of pocketbook.

I knew there was a problem when I didn't receive any response even being remotely sympathetic or empathetic. Not even a, "Wow! That sucks! However..."
It was automatic accusations and threats like I was trying to stop the law enforcement from doing their jobs in an illegal fashion. How I would REGRET it forever.
Then the statement of "It's junk isn't it? Be honest." What does it matter what the items are? The items are his and they are his legally. They do not interfere with anyone else's life, they cannot be seen from the bounds of the property (unless you are being unethical and looking for something to cite and garner more fines and fees for your owner/"employer").

It's a government money making scam and nobody is willing to fight it. But they sure will step up and help the government take, take, and take some more.

Maybe it's a good thing that people are waking up to the fact that the government is anything but on your side. Unfortunately it might be too late.

Good job at protecting civil liberties! (Rolls eyes)

Just for an update: I suggested using Portable Storage units a TEMPORARY resolution to the issue. Because if they show up and nothing is on the property, what can they do? Make you throw away what's in your storage units that are offsite? After that figure out what to do about storage long term. But at least the immediate is taken care of.

So with that, are there any regulations against living in a small warehouse? Renovating it to have a shower and small kitchen?

Even if there were... At this point, I don't think I would care. The whole system is just so repulsive.

We'll steal your things and your house. Because we can, then you'll be homeless and that needs to be illegal too. So now you need our services. But we don't have any resources so we have to go steal some more.

Then the judges who are some of the most corrupt, be honest, your cheques aren't signed at the bottom by 'the people of (insert your city/town/state here).' It is signed by a representative "employee" of the government that "employs" thugs to harass and "legally" steal more things from people.

So with that, are there any regulations against living in a small warehouse?

Maybe, depends on where you reside.

However, those who rent such units generally PROHIBIT a person from residing in the unit.

if they show up and nothing is on the property, what can they do?

If that were to happen, you and your pal could have a great laugh.

Trust me, mate, I poke the damn bear in his eye, his mouth, even his anal cavity; each and every time I can.

However, as I grow older, all I want to do is be left alone.

I spent four years in Nam, starting at age 18.

I was a ranger, and I often say, I was killing for $72.00 a month, and it hasn't phased me to this day.

Age has tempered me, not by ailments, rather by wisdom.

Bottom line for me, ask yourself why it is harder to rid yourself of your US citizenship than it is to become a naturalized citizen?

Of course, being born a US citizen requires a woman willing to carry your little life to term, presto, you're a US citizen in 9 months.

Having served this nation as a soldier for 30 odd years, this saddens me beyond belief, because many good men died for this nation.

I'm not sure what the point of this hypothetical is since local code enforcement officers are not "random strangers."

To me, they are random strangers who have nothing better to do but impose THEIR will onto everyone else.

Then I suggest you relocate to whatever the most remote area is that you can find so that you can be free of governmental interference in your life to the greatest extent possible.

But we're now getting far afield of your original inquiry. You now have 13 days to get your stuff moved from your friend's property. I suggest you take advantage of the abundant time you have.

The point is, that by not being even remotely against someone forcing themselves into your private life; spying on you and then stealing your belongings under the auspices of "legal right," that makes you the problem. The fact that you will help and allow it to continue makes you the problem. You are allowing the disintegration of freedom. When the government is allowed to steal your property, they have stolen your rights and your freedoms. I suggest you look into Krisanne Hall. She is a very good teacher of the roots of America and what the Constitution means and how we are being screwed.

It is a shame. People that believe in the constitution are regarded as crackpots. The Souvereign Citizen's movement (as purported in the media) is a sham. It was made to sensationalise and dramaticize the beliefs (no doubt there are those that are THAT ridiculous). However a true sovereign citizen does believe in rules, but it is the constitution and anything morally and ethically reasonable.

People today are anything but reasonable. They are driven by mass hysteria, stemming from the society that is purposely ripping them apart. These government creatures, they aren't even people, they are things, monsters. They have no compassion, they have no morals or ethics. They have nothing but greed and desire for power. They are callous and self-centered and if they had 2 heads they would cut off one so the other couldn't possibly benefit more than the other.

I have never seen freedom in my life; and I doubt I ever will. Have I seen more freedoms than some, yes. That isn't a dispute. But real, true freedom doesn't exist. Not in this world. We are all part of the problem.

Your friend can take action before the date given.
You were told correctly that there is no decision to appeal.
Your friend should consult an attorney if unsure how to proceed. He isn't helpless.

i have to at least suspect that there have been multiple complaints about this yard and its belongings by neighbors to the city over time. I have to wonder if these belongings aren't harboring feral animals, etc.

i have to agree that you and your friend should probably move as far away from any kind of government as you can if you want to recycle/hoard these recyclable belongings. Or if it is truly a money making business, rent out a proper storage area/warehouse.

Back