Consumer Law, Warranties Property management Co. breachs agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

noluck

I have a problem with property management company.
My husband &I bought a investment property(VA Foreclosed, 4 yr old, good condition townhouse, ) in NC through Marshall Reddick Investment network's agents. We live in CA, so we have never been there. I have recently noticed that Marshall Reddick & many his network(agents, loans, builders, contractor …)are in lawsuits as fraud. Our case might be a part of it. This agents own management Co. have managed the property since then. Now, my husband is in Iraq for a active duty as a member of National Guard (partly).
Therefore, I have to deal this by myself.
A long story in short(I try)-
This management Co. do need our authorization to do repairs( in writing), but we told(not in writing) they can do emergency repairs under$100 but still has to be reported right way. Yet they do not follow our agreement. They started to do questionable & unreasonable repairs by their own decision, it is not tenants request neither, and make us feel obligation to do those repairs and take money out from check which they collect from tenants. Mostly it happens during the tenants switch- right after move-out(usually once a year), still they don't deduct from security deposit because they describe them as wear & tear. Recently I received a E-mails that They did changed a 3yr old living room carpet , repair windows, repair light switches etc…total cost is more than $700. Also attaches more other expensive repair estimate. They describe the house condition as beyond repairs! They have threatened by using a name of Law(For example,to make window open smoothly-$100-, they say fire safety reason and required by a law)when I disagree it . After I questioned why it get damaged so quickly, what they said was because tenants don't care about t rental house! !But the rental agreement states clearly that to keep good condition with proper manner is tenants responsibly . I we feel our property is neglected by this management Co. There were so many questionable repairs( some should be tenants obligation) with unreasonable price in past. Recently I request a product receipt for recent repair, but they told me they don't have it. Now, I don't know those all repairs are/were true or fake. They also do not collect tenants unpaid utilities which is their duty. They raise a rent a little bit and charge us a big lease up fees also finding fees-both without authorization. They have been overpowered, controlled, and then breaching our agreement( in writing). They made money more than $ 10,000 from us.
Since I have 2 younger children. I see already their suffering including myself from this problem. I am already cutting my sleeping hours to 2~4 hours. I am very tired.

My question is how can I handle this? Can I sue them? How?
Should I take this to criminal court to have investigate ?
What/ Where to start?
I might be able to use Military legal support during my husband's deployment,
but I have no idea how.
Does anyone know Attorneys who takes case of lawsuits related Marshall Reddick ?
If anyone, Please help!!!!

Last edited:
1) Did you ever write a letter detailing the items of which you claim are out of the boundaries of your agreement? You need to do this before you think of going to court.

2) There are attorneys who can handle a case like this (I've worked on problems like this) but the issue is about putting out money to get some back. This is not really a "contingency" type case unless there is something in the works for a class action (which of this type is usually not as frequent as injury cases, e.g. toxic torts cases.) In most instances, there is an up front retainer fee. My advice to you is to put together your case first and you can submit it to an attorney to see what they say.

In short - put your case together with specifics. Get a list of every item done without authorization, point to the violation on the contract. Note, however, that if these were required items you'd only be able to get back money related to overcharges, not the work itself, e.g. you're not going to get a windfall and not pay at all for a needed carpet replacement. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back