Property Line Misrepresentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwardln

We purchased 4 lots in a wooded lake community over a year ago. We just found out the the outside property line of two of these lots was misrepresented to us by our real estate agent. The agent told us these lots went to the neighboring house's property line. When we bought it, we thought we were buying all the land to the neighboring house. We found out yesterday that there is a 1/2 acre lot in between our property and the neighbors. The two lots we purchsed are actually 1/2 of the size we thought they were. The agent walked the property line off with us before we purchased it. The description of the lot was only a lot number without details. Now the agent says he never walked the property line or showed us where it ended. He says we misunderstood. (He also lives in the lake community) Do we have any legal recourse? Thank you!

No. It is only your word against his. You are responsible for getting a survey and knowing what you are purchasing. The description would have to be referenced to a plat and you should have looked at it.

What if he gave us a plat but it only showed the shape of the lots and did not have any measurements on it? He lives in this community and sold our house plus we purchased other lots thru him. When he gave us the plat and said the neighbor's house was the next lot, we trusted his word.

You can sue anybody for anything but you need evidence to win and you have no evidence. I have never seen an official "plat" without metes and bounds and your deed would reference the official plat. That puts you on record notice.

lwpat,
The real estate agent represented the boundry lines incorrectly when he walked us around the property and gave us a plat map without measurements (obviously not the official one) . We trusted this man and purchased the lots. I think, he believed what he told us to be true at the time. He was at the lot once telling us where to build a garage (which now we know wasn't even on our property). He was also aware we bought the second lot for a septic field and is too small for this with the actual land we own. So...even though he said all these things to us and represented the property incorrectly he is not responsible? The deed does reference a plat map at the county but we did not see that until after the purchaseand still not seen the official map. So...are you telling me that we have learned a hard lesson in trust and the law cannot help us in this situation?? THANKS

Yes, that is exactly what I am telling you. Anything regarding real estate must be in writing and you are charged with doing your due dilligence. Other than your word you have no proof and he is denying it.

Never buy property without a current survey and putting your hand on the corner pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back