Property Issue

T

TCJen

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I moved in with my girlfriend a little more than a year ago. She was separated, but the divorce was not final. During the time that we lived together, she bought things for the house.

Three months ago, she died. I contacted her ex/husband and asked if there was anything he wanted. He took a couple of things that belonged to the kids said he didn't want anything else.

I just moved out of our house and into a smaller apartment. Before I moved I asked him again if he wanted anything and he said no. So I donated it all to charity. I didn't keep anything, it was too hard to see it all.

Now that all the stuff is gone, he says that he wants the stuff and if I can't give it to him, he wants me to pay in new value for everything. There were things like a washer and dryer, but they were more than a year old when I donated them and I did not receive anything for them.

What legal right does he have to any of the stuff? They were separated and he said he didn't want it.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Please accept my condolences upon the passing of your loved one.

From this point forward, cease all communication with the scheming, conniving, scammer.

He's not interested in her junk, he wants your money.

If he does sue, you simply appear in court prepared to say you gave him all the stiff of hers he wanted.

You gave him another opportunity to take more of the stuff a few weeks later because what he didn't want you we're giving to a local charity.

You owed him no duty that you didn't fulfill.

Be smart, stop talking to him and answering his questions.

You owe him nothing, including answers.

Back