Properties getting foreclosed due to ex not making payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

jajone13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I am trying to find out some advice for my mother-in-law. She has now being going through her divorce for over 4 years. The divorce was actually final as of a few months ago but the property assets are still not settled. The problem is that her ex doesn't want to do arbitration and also doesn't want things to be divided evenly. She is now facing the delima of her ex deciding not to make any more payments and is willing for the properties to be foreclosed. It's not the case that he can't make the payments due to a lack of funds but rather he said he would rather them get foreclosed on than her get anything. She has now went to her lawyer numerous times in the last month and he just tells her that the ex's lawyer won't call him back or get back in touch in any way then sends her another bill. The questions I have are:

Can her ex legally just stop making payments even when she has asked for arbitration?
Is there anything else her lawyer "should" be doing to avoid foreclosure and her credit rating getting killed?

Any advice would be VERY much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back